Manchester United have welcomed Victor Lindelof back to first team training after he missed the FA Cup tie.
Lindelof was out with illness last week, and had missed the previous fixture before the break against West Ham after his family home was broken into.
Harry Maguire and Victor Lindelof started the game on Friday, with Phil Jones coming off the bench in extra time.
Maguire and Varane are most likely to start the game against Burnley after Rangnick praised the pairing’s performance.
The manager told his press conference: “He [Varane] did extremely well, together with Harry. He played probably his best game, knowing it was a Championship team but a very ambitious Championship team, and I’m happy to have him back for tomorrow’s game.”
Lindelof is likely just back as extra cover and will have to return to the bench, although he will overtake Jones in the pecking order. Eric Bailly remains out with an ankle injury.
Lindelof was playing well before he had to come out of the team, and Harry Maguire was on the sidelines.
Maguire has stepped up since coming back in and deserves to retain his place, but Lindelof won’t want to sit out for too long.
Raphael Varane is the clear first choice, and Maguire and Lindelof are competing to partner him. Competition for places is always positive, and the defenders who start against Burnley will be desperate to keep a clean sheet this evening.
- Christian Eriksen and Scott McTominay injuries add to Manchester United midfield dilemma
- Kobbie Mainoo completes 100 per cent of his passes in impressive cameo performance
- Manchester United v Reading full player ratings
- 15-year-old Manchester United prospect scores wonder goal in 3-3 U18 draw
- What TV channel is Manchester United v Reading on? Kick off time, live stream and prediction