Raphael Varane will apparently undergo his Manchester United medical today.
The Manchester Evening News report that provided Varane tests negative for Covid, he will conduct the medical today (Tuesday).
They say that he has told United he wants to start training tomorrow.
That’s so he’s got as much chance as possible of being involved in Saturday’s Premier League season opener against Leeds.
It seems most likely that Varane will be on the bench for that clash against Marcelo Bielsa’s side.
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer suggested as much last week, owing to the Frenchman’s lack of pre-season training.
Jadon Sancho is in a similar situation, although he did at least start work with United yesterday.
United are planning to unveil Varane tomorrow, provided everything goes smoothly and the defender doesn’t want to waste any time getting stuck into training.
The wait is almost over
We are getting there. It’s taken longer than expected for United to get Varane in the country, do his medical and unveil him but the wait is almost over.
It’s a sign of Varane’s desire that he wants to do everything he can to play against Leeds. He’s a winner.
It would be sensible for Solskjaer to hold him back. Throwing him in with just days to prepare would be a risk.
Ideally, United can bring Varane and Sancho on in the second half on Saturday, hopefully with a comfortable lead.
- Charlie McNeill continues hot streak despite U23s defeat
- Ralf Rangnick is the perfect man to hand over to an elite permanent United manager
- Who is Ronald Araujo and why is he being linked to Manchester United?
- Cavani issues fitness update ahead of United’s clash with Chelsea
- Josh King admits blocked Manchester United move was worst moment of his career