Tahith Chong caught the eye for Werder Bremen in pre-season in Germany, and then he scored against lower league opposition in the cup last weekend.
As the Bundesliga kicked off on Saturday, Chong and his Werder teammates were brought back to reality.
Werder suffered a 4-1 home defeat to Hertha Berlin, who finished just 10th in the division last season.
Chong started the game in an attacking 4-2-2-2 formation, and it did not play to his strengths.
The Dutchman managed to create two goalscoring chances, but he was substituted after 62 minutes with Werder 3-0 down.
A learning curve
Chong is at Werder to learn and this season will not be easy, even if his pre-season looked like it.
The weekend was a sign that he and his team will have to work hard each and every week to get results.
One thing Chong does have already is the trust of his teammates.
Swedish international Ludwig Augustinsson told Sport1 he is impressed with the Manchester United loanee.
Augustinsson said: “He’s a young and hungry player, a winner with a good technique. He can put his stamp on our game.
“He’s good at one on one. It is quick and can go in and out. Tahith will help us on the offensive.
“We have really good competition, nobody can be sure of their place, only performance counts.”
Chong has the stage now to kick on, and come back to Manchester United as a first team player next year.
Werder’s weekend defeat was a reminder he has a challenge to rise to first in Germany before he can even think about Old Trafford.
Manchester United loan exits 20/21
- Tahith Chong
Werder Bremen (season)
- Aliou Traore
SM Caen (season)
- Matej Kovar
Swindon Town (season)
- Joel Pereira
Huddersfield Town (season)
- Dylan Levitt
Charlton Athletic (season)
- James Garner
- Andreas Pereira
- Max Taylor
Kidderminster (until January)
- Diogo Dalot
AC Milan (season)
- Di’Shon Bernard
Salford City (until January)
- Jake Carney
Brighouse Town (season)
- Max Haygarth
Brentford B (until January)
- Manchester United’s three best players in draw against Chelsea
- Charlie McNeill scores brace on competitive under-18s debut as Noam Emeran shines
- Joel Pereira’s latest loan spell is doing him no favours so far
- Manchester United’s three best players in U23 win over Everton
- Manchester United fans react to Facundo Pellistri’s under-23s debut
- Tuanzebe could prove Manchester United don’t need Upamecano when they clash
- Facundo Pellistri features as Manchester United U23s secure dramatic late win
- Predicted Manchester United XI v Chelsea
- United won’t break the bank to keep Paul Pogba