A loan move to the Bundesliga shaped up as a great chance for Tahith Chong to prove his quality. Eventually it may become that.
The German top flight is the division in which Manchester United’s top summer transfer target of 2019 made his name.
Jadon Sancho quit English football to try his luck in the Bundesliga, with great success at Dortmund – leading to a £108 million price tag.
This week Chong hoped to have a chance to outshine Sancho as Werder Bremen took on Borussia Dortmund.
It did not pan out as would have hoped. Chong did not even get onto the pitch.
Werder Bremen made five substitutes in Tuesday night’s clash, and Chong was not among them.
The 21-year-old was left as a forlorn figure on the bench as his side suffered a 2-1 defeat.
Last week, Bremen’s chief of scouting Clemen Fritz praised Chong’s attributes and said that behind the scenes he has made positive progress. This has not translated on pitch success just yet.
At the weekend Chong made an appearance as a substitute, playing the final 18 minutes in a 2-0 defeat to RB Leipzig.
He created two chances during this short stint, but did not show enough for Werder to call on him in midweek.
There is plenty of football left to be played, but Chong will want to kick on.
He has made only three Bundesliga starts out of a possible 12.
As for Sancho…
Sancho had a decent if unspectacular performance for Dortmund in their win over Bremen.
He created two chances and made three successful dribbles in the win, but missed the target with both of his shots at goal.
He is yet to score in the Bundesliga this season. He has three assists but no goals in 10 league games. Last season he struck 17 goals and provided 16 assists.
- Anthony Martial faces fitness battle for Manchester derby
- Five things we learned as Manchester United draw with Crystal Palace
- Manchester United line-up v Crystal Palace
- It’s getting harder to see Manchester United keeping Juan Mata
- Report: Erling Haaland will consider United but not Chelsea
- Luke Shaw has been ‘unbelievable recently’ says Dan James
- Some United fans react as Solskjaer predicts a quiet summer transfer window
- Predicted Manchester United line-up v Crystal Palace
- Teden Mengi’s first loan start at centre-back for Derby proves to be a tough one