United loanee Nathan Bishop helps Mansfield pull off FA Cup shock
Manchester United youngster Nathan Bishop is toasting a surprise FA Cup victory at the weekend.
Bishop was representing Mansfield Town, who sit a lowly 20th place in League Two.
His side were away at Sunderland, who are in fifth place in League One.
And yet despite the chasm in places between the two teams, Bishop’s Mansfield emerged as 1-0 winners.
The surprise away win for Mansfield takes them into the FA Cup second round. United join the competition in the third.
Bishop posted a message on social media to celebrate the victory and clean sheet.
Bishop now has two clean sheets in a row, having achieved a shut out in a 2-0 win over Tranmere in the league the previous weekend.
The 22-year-old is making the most of his first loan away from United and is playing an integral part for his side.
The path to United’s first team will always be difficult for a goalkeeper, with David de Gea well established and Dean Henderson behind him.
All Bishop can do is work away in the background and focus on the tasks he has at hand, like making a name for himself on loan.
A FA Cup run would help, and knocking out Sunderland is a decent start towards that.
- 'Watch Love Island instead': Six worst/funniest reviews left by Manchester United fans on Paul Pogba's documentary
- Report: 'Outstanding' 22-year-old talent is now all set to leave Manchester United on loan
- 'Already had contact': Club chiefs admit they have had transfer interest in reported Manchester United target
- £67.5m star hands in transfer request with Manchester United linked
- Club confirm signing of 'high calibre' young player released by Manchester United
- Opinion: Cristiano Ronaldo frustration is understandable as Murtough continues to strike out
- Reward for failure: MUST criticise 'indefensible' £11m Glazer dividend payment
- 'Graveyard'… Neville says Glazers to blame as Manchester United battle for signing
- Last ditch effort to sign Manchester United midfielder being considered, 51 games played this season
- Ajax star who just quit tips Manchester United transfer target to leave for big fee
- 'New Neymar' is the player Manchester United should be signing this summer