Marcus Rashford captained England in the country’s final warmup game before Euro 2020 yesterday.
Rashford netted the winner from the penalty spot in the 1-0 victory over Romania at the Riverside Stadium.
Jack Grealish and James Ward-Prowse both captain their clubs and started the game.
But Gareth Southgate opted for Rashford to lead the side out and Rashford’s strike extended an impressive Manchester United record.
He joined the ranks of United players to have scored for England having started as captain.
It’s an impressive achievement for a forward who is still just 23 years old and underlines the esteem in which he is viewed by Southgate.
He has captained United on occasion too, most notably in the EFL Cup semi-final against Manchester City in January 2020.
England captaincy a long time coming
We wrote last June that Rashford is a future England captain in the making.
Rashford’s off-field work to combat child food poverty make him a leader who has mobilised and united the nation more than any politician in recent memory.
He is a natural leader with the talent to be a fixture in this England team for many years to come.
Rashford is a role model for fans to look up to and should be in the conversation when the time comes for Kane to hand over the armband.
Naturally, Rashford thrived on the responsibility yesterday, winning the game for his team.
It shouldn’t be the last time he leads his country out.
- Manchester United being linked with Sulemana again, Ajax in pole position
- Anthony Martial pictured working out ahead of pre-season
- Manchester United’s 20 most expensive transfer deals of all time
- Mansfield boss delighted to sign Manchester United’s Nathan Bishop on loan
- French media deliver their verdicts on United star Paul Pogba’s display last night
- Fred impresses for Brazil again in dramatic win
- Five German legends comments on Manchester United bound Jadon Sancho
- Diogo Dalot posts message after making Portugal debut
- Victor Lindelof makes timely contribution to help Sweden finish top
- Manchester United fans react to Paul Pogba’s performance