Tahith Chong made his first appearance for Werder Bremen on Wednesday after clinching his loan move away from Manchester United at the weekend.
They face Austrian side LASK, who Chong knew well, having featured against them home and away in the Europa League.
And just as he did in the away game against LASK when he set up Mason Greenwood for a goal, Chong provided an assist for Werder.
Chong lined up among the starters as Werder Bremen went on to win 4-1.
He played for 45 minutes and set up Werder’s second goal with a pass to new teammate Maximilian Eggestein.
Chong played the game on the right wing and impressed, so it will be interesting to see if this is where he ends up playing this year for them, as it is an area United need to strengthen.
United fans were pleased to see him make a positive start at his new club…
A bright start
One of the positive aspects to Chong’s friendly display was that he was selected as a starter.
This showed Werder are keen to take a look at him and give him the opportunity he needs.
Friendly matches do not count for anything, certainly when end of season statistics are measured, bu this will be a nice confidence boost for the young Dutchman and help win over his new teammates.
We all want Chong to blossom over in Germany and come back full of confidence, showing signs he can live up to his potential.
This was a small step in the right direction, and an encouraging sign.
- Anthony Martial needs to rediscover debut season form in key Manchester United clashes
- Marcus Rashford is outperforming Sadio Mane this season
- Predicted Manchester United XI v Liverpool
- Jurgen Klopp hails Manchester United pair Marcus Rashford and Bruno Fernandes
- Solskjaer claims there’s even more to come from Manchester United
- Solskjaer says Diallo could be in United squad this weekend
- Bruno Fernandes wins record-breaking fourth player of the month award
- Amad Diallo pictured training with Manchester United first team
- Paul Scholes says Mason Greenwood should get more opportunities