Tahith Chong made his first appearance for Werder Bremen on Wednesday after clinching his loan move away from Manchester United at the weekend.
They face Austrian side LASK, who Chong knew well, having featured against them home and away in the Europa League.
And just as he did in the away game against LASK when he set up Mason Greenwood for a goal, Chong provided an assist for Werder.
Chong lined up among the starters as Werder Bremen went on to win 4-1.
He played for 45 minutes and set up Werder’s second goal with a pass to new teammate Maximilian Eggestein.
Chong played the game on the right wing and impressed, so it will be interesting to see if this is where he ends up playing this year for them, as it is an area United need to strengthen.
United fans were pleased to see him make a positive start at his new club…
A bright start
One of the positive aspects to Chong’s friendly display was that he was selected as a starter.
This showed Werder are keen to take a look at him and give him the opportunity he needs.
Friendly matches do not count for anything, certainly when end of season statistics are measured, bu this will be a nice confidence boost for the young Dutchman and help win over his new teammates.
We all want Chong to blossom over in Germany and come back full of confidence, showing signs he can live up to his potential.
This was a small step in the right direction, and an encouraging sign.
- Five things we learned as Manchester United draw 0-0 with Chelsea
- Manchester United’s three best players in draw against Chelsea
- Charlie McNeill scores brace on competitive under-18s debut as Noam Emeran shines
- Joel Pereira’s latest loan spell is doing him no favours so far
- Manchester United’s three best players in U23 win over Everton
- Manchester United fans react to Facundo Pellistri’s under-23s debut
- Tuanzebe could prove Manchester United don’t need Upamecano when they clash
- Facundo Pellistri features as Manchester United U23s secure dramatic late win
- Predicted Manchester United XI v Chelsea