Axel Tuanzebe is back to fitness after a very frustrating spell out with three separate injuries.
The 22-year-old is available for selection in United’s upcoming matches and has rejoined training.
Tuanzebe told the club website he is excited about testing himself going up against new signing Edinson Cavani in training.
He said he believes he has benefitted from practising against teammate Anthony Martial, who he talked up.
Tuanzebe said: “
I always like coming up against talented players. Over the last, you could say, 12 months I’ve had Anthony to deal with and it’s been a blast, as he’s unbelievable in training.
“It’s what you want to come up against – the best – to improve your own abilities.
Edinson will be another addition to that with his experience, his knowledge of the game and it’ll be great to learn from him, any smart traits and how to mark someone of his calibre.“
A big benefit to the whole team
Tuanzebe’s comments highly the hidden impact a player like Edinson Cavani can have on the team.
The obvious benefit is up front, how he can help younger players like Mason Greenwood, Anthony Martial and Marcus Rashford, who can watch, learn from, and play with a striker who has netted more than 300 career goals.
But as Tuanzebe observes, the defence can learn too. The whole back four can benefit from playing against a striker as sharp as Cavani in training.
This will help a young player like Tuanzebe a lot, and Teden Mengi, but it will also help senior stars Harry Maguire, Victor Lindelof and Eric Bailly.
United’s defence has begun poorly and Cavani will raise the standards in training, and hopefully subsequently on the pitch.
Martial himself faces a ban for the next three Premier League games, but he will be expected to play a prominent role in the Champions League clashes.
- Raphael Varane will fly to Manchester to seal United move on Monday
- Manchester United in August: Predicting the transfer deals to come
- United loanee Bernard makes first Hull appearance in 2-0 win over Red Devils U23 side
- Report: Fenerbahce want to sign United midfielder Pereira
- Hull boss McCann delighted to sign Manchester United’s Di’Shon Bernard on loan
- Henderson is excited by United signing Sancho
- United defender Eric Bailly endures mixed day as Ivory Coast exit Olympics
- Marcus Rashford posts long emotional message after decision to undergo surgery
- Di’Shon Bernard signs new long-term contract with Manchester United