1999 Treble winner Peter Schmeichel could not help himself last night as Liverpool were knocked out of the Champions League.
Atletico Madrid beat them 4-2 on aggregate after losing 1-0 on the night in 90 minutes, before a frantic extra time period.
Liverpool may be on track to a league title, but their treble hopes disappeared last week in a FA Cup defeat to Chelsea. Now they can’t even claim a double.
Former United hero Peter Schmeichel was amused to see Jurgen Klopp’s side crash out.
Denis Irwin’s son Liam also took a pop at the media hype surrounding Liverpool following their defeat.
Two of Atletico Madrid’s goals were scored by midfield super-sub Marcos Llorente.
The Spanish midfielder was linked with a loan move to Old Trafford in January. It was clearly for the best he stayed put.
There was more reaction from former Bolton and Wolves striker Adam Le Fondre, who is evidently a United fan. He called on the club to sign Atletico Madrid midfielder Thomas Partey.
There is something anti-climatic about the way Liverpool’s season has turned over the last few weeks.
All that’s needed now is for the Premier League to be cancelled.
- Facundo Pellistri plays 70 minutes on international debut in Uruguay win
- Big transfer moves in Europe impact Manchester United, including target's £62.4m switch
- Bryan Robson believes Anthony Elanga emergence will “spur” Manchester United star on
- Harry Maguire talks up 'amazing' Manchester United teammate
- 'Big champion': Manager praises 'disillusioned' Manchester United ace following agonising loss