Manchester United saw this past season how good Paul Pogba can be.
The ongoing problem with Pogba is his contract situation. ESPN report United will try to renew talks with the Frenchman after the Euros.
Pogba’s contract expires in 2022 and United are concerned Pogba will run it down and leave on a free transfer.
If Pogba rebuffs United’s advances to negotiate a new deal, then it would be smart for the club to consider all options. United could still get a good fee for Pogba this summer and reinvest it.
There are three very different ways United could go about replacing Pogba. Here is a look at the players who could become targets…
England ace Jack Grealish was wanted by United last summer before Aston Villa avoided relegation and hiked up the price.
Grealish would still cost too much for United as it stands this summer – but if Pogba were sold and funds generated, then a move could happen.
Grealish would be an attacking replacement for Pogba, reflecting how the Frenchman’s position changed for much of the 2020/21 season.
The Villa ace can play in various midfield positions but like Pogba, is arguably best drifting in from the left.
A move for Grealish would almost be a like for like, with United getting a younger player who has more of a point to prove.
United could push a move for a box to box midfielder like Saul Niguez as an upgrade on Fred, to partner with Scott McTominay.
Saul is reported to be back on the transfer market this summer after Atletico won La Liga, as they have financial difficulties.
United are not currently in the race as the club is prioritising a move for winger Jadon Sancho, with Pogba’s future on the backburner.
If the decision is made to cash in on Pogba, then Saul would be a very accomplished replacement if he is still available.
Leicester City’s Youri Tielemans is a similar player in terms of style, who United could look at.
The alternative approach is for United to put all the money towards a defensive midfielder.
England international Declan Rice is the most expensive option available due to West Ham’s high asking price.
With funds gained from potentially selling Pogba, Rice would seem like less of an expenditure.
This would give United the stability in midfield required and Rice would be a long-term addition.
There would still be attacking players required to strengthen, but this move would help stop United leaking goals.
- Rangnick praises two Manchester United players including one who is a 'fantastic person'
- 'I lost the ball'… Manchester United star accepts responsibility for role in Young Boys goal
- 'You deserve'… Bruno Fernandes congratulates teammate on making Manchester United debut
- Hargreaves praises 'really sharp' Manchester United youngster who could start for Rangnick this weekend
- 4 Manchester United players who will regret disappointing performances v Young Boys
- 'Love him', 'Class'… Some Manchester United fans react to teenager's performance v Young Boys
- Manchester United youngster matches Carlos Tevez achievement and best is yet to come
- Zidane Iqbal and Charlie Savage send messages after making Manchester United debut
- 'I'm truly sorry'… Amad sends apology to Manchester United supporters
- 'Absolutely incredible'… Some Manchester United fans react to star's 'world class' performance against Young Boys