Manchester United defender Eric Bailly landed a new contract this week.
The decision the Ivorian will now stay, eases the pressure on United to add a centre-back this summer.
One could still join, but the position is less of a priority. Instead, the available money will likely be spent elsewhere.
Here is a look at which three positions should be United’s top priorities this summer…
This is the biggest change impacted by the Eric Bailly decision. United don’t have to go and spend on a centre-back.
Instead the money can be diverted to signing a top defensive midfielder.
Nemanja Matic, 32, has taken a backwards step this year and started only 10 Premier League games.
This has made United more reliant on a duo of Fred and Scott McTominay, which many feel does not give United enough flexibility.
The pair are effective together, but combine to do the work of one top defensive midfielder.
A truly elite player in the position would allow greater balance, let Paul Pogba come back in as part of a midfield two, helping United to be more ambitous in big games.
Options include Declan Rice, Ruben Neves or Yves Bissouma.
United have lacked a truly terrific right winger for years now, and a signing here is long overdue.
The club did make moves for the future last summer, signing Amad and Facundo Pellistri.
It remains to be seen whether either will start games on a regular basis in the position next season.
Mason Greenwood is effective in the position but is seen long-term as a striker.
This summer feels like the right time to move for a player like Jadon Sancho.
Sancho would become a regular in the role, allowing Amad to develop at his own pace, without being rushed in.
The striker position is still a role of real uncertainty at United after Anthony Martial took a major step back this past year.
Edinson Cavani has an uncertain future and could leave to return to South America.
This is position United need to solve, even if top target Erling Haaland is going to be too expensive.
One wildcard option is a short-term deal for Cristiano Ronaldo to lead the line.
Mason Greenwood will have a major say at the position next season too – but he shouldn’t be asked to do it all on his own.
Harry Kane is another long shot option if United take the decision to pursue cheaper deals at other positions.
- French media deliver their verdicts on United star Paul Pogba’s display last night
- Fred impresses for Brazil again in dramatic win
- Five German legends comments on Manchester United bound Jadon Sancho
- Diogo Dalot posts message after making Portugal debut
- Victor Lindelof makes timely contribution to help Sweden finish top
- Manchester United fans react to Paul Pogba’s performance
- Pogba and Fernandes embrace at end of France and Portugal draw
- Paul Pogba produces another masterclass as France draw with Portugal
- Anthony Elanga’s rave reviews set him up perfectly for 2021/22
- Jadon Sancho agreement likely ‘in days’ – report
- Neville hails Harry Maguire’s ‘dominant’ performance in England win