Manchester United are looking to complete a deal for Real Madrid centre-back Raphael Varane.
AS reported a deal could be done this week if United meet Real’s asking price.
Varane is an outstanding defender with his combination of pace, aerial power and passing ability helping him to dominate opponents.
The centre-back has the ability to be an asset in the opposing 18 yard box too. While Varane does not score too often, when he does, it is impressive.
So we took a look back over three of his best ever goals.
Vs Barcelona, 2013
Varane is man for the big occasion. No goal for Real Madrid is more important than against rivals Barcelona.
This Copa del Rey semi-final goal was one of two headers he has scored against Barcelona in his career.
Varane rose highest from a corner with a leap and powerful header that teammate Cristiano Ronaldo would have been proud of, to seal a momentous victory.
Vs Brazil, 2015
Just a friendly match, this header for France was one of Varane’s best ever.
Don’t remind Patrice Evra, who got flattened in the process as Varane powered in and wiped him out in a single-minded pursuit of the ball.
His header arrowed into the net and left the Brazilian goalkeeper with absolutely no chance.
Vs Uruguay, 2018
One of the most important goals of Raphael Varane’s career came in the 2018 World Cup.
Varane scored a header from free-kick into the box to break the deadlock against a resilient Uruguay and set up a 2-0 quarter-final victory.
France went onto win the World Cup and opposing star and possible future teammate Edinson Cavani said Varane should have been a Ballon d’Or winner.
- Manchester United set to resume training
- Charlie McCann sends message after leaving Manchester United
- United announce Rashford is set for surgery on shoulder injury
- Raphael Varane says goodbye to Real Madrid after agreeing to join United
- Photos: Sancho features as Manchester United officially release new 2021/22 away kit
- Report provides update on United’s Covid situation after Preston friendly is cancelled
- Alejandro Garnacho grabs brace in Manchester United under-18s win over Tottenham
- Laurent Blanc said it was ‘an honour’ to be compared to Raphael Varane
- Logan Pye signs Manchester United pro contract
- Harry Maguire pictured enjoying holiday abroad
- Sergio Ramos and Marcelo congratulate Raphael Varane on Manchester United move