There are three Manchester United academy players on the long-list for Europe’s prestigious Golden Boy Award.
The award was previously won by Wayne Rooney in 2004, notably Anderson in 2008, and Anthony Martial in 2015.
Last year it was won by Atletico Madrid whizkid Joao Felix, after his prolific performances for Benfica.
This time there are three United players on the list of 100 nominees, announced by Tuttosport, which will later be whittled down to a shortlist of 20, and is usually voted on in November.
Mason Greenwood, 18, Angel Gomes, 19, and James Garner, 19, are the United players nominated.
Striker Greenwood has a particularly strong case and should be a certainty to make the final 20.
He has 13 goals for United over the past season, a tally he is expected to add to over the next couple of months as the Premier League resumes.
Garner started four Europa League games for United earlier in the season and Gomes three, although both have found it a little tougher to find game time in 2020.
Both players have been training with Greenwood and the rest of the first team over the past week and are in contention to play a role as the season resumes.
Young star Brandon Williams may feel he is unlucky to miss out, although the award notoriously favours attacking players.
There is one clear favourite for the 2020 Golden Boy Award which will make it tough for Mason Greenwood and co: Erling Haaland.
The Dortmund striker and near United addition has more than 40 goals to his name over the past year, and has starred in the Champions League.
The award is his to win, although Greenwood could yet have a say if he ends this season with a flourish and leads United to Europa League success.
The nominations show how highly his fellow England youth internationals Gomes and Garner are, and that United must look to maximise their talents.
Losing Gomes is still a risk for United with no new contract agreed, and the nomination highlights his quality.
- It’s time for Jesse Lingard to move on, but £30m seems too good to be true
- Luke Shaw calls for Manchester United to sign more players
- Solskjaer praises Donny van de Beek as midfielder sends message to fans
- Manchester United’s season feels over before it has really begun
- Six things learned as Manchester United lose to Crystal Palace
- Confirmed Manchester United line up v Crystal Palace
- Teden Mengi could have early season chance to impress for Manchester United
- How Donny van de Beek can use Manchester United fan frustration as motivation
- Four reasons for Manchester United to be optimistic