Three changes to Manchester United's back four looking likely for Villarreal clash
After scoring no goals in the last two matches, getting the attack clicking should be Manchester United’s priority concern against Villarreal this coming week.
Especially considering United have scored just one goal in five matches against the Spanish side.
But a makeshift defence is likely to compile United’s problems.
Aaron Wan-Bissaka is suspended for the fixture after his red card against Young Boys.
Luke Shaw and Harry Maguire are both dealing with injuries sustained against Aston Villa.
Injuries leave United reeling
Speaking after the game, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer refused to guarantee either player would be available.
He told the club website: “I can’t give you any updates. We will have to use today [Saturday] and tomorrow and Monday or when we get the scans done and see how we are.”
If both players are ruled out then United have the cover – but not necessarily the same quality.
Raphael Varane would be the only first choice starter who featured against Villa from the start who would begin against Villarreal.
United’s back four against Villarreal?
Diogo Dalot at right-back, Raphael Varane and Victor Lindelof at centre-back, and Alex Telles at left-back, could be United’s options.
Dalot came on at left-back to replace Shaw against Villa, but this won’t be an option against Villarreal as United need him to step in for Wan-Bissaka.
Alex Telles didn’t cover himself in glory against West Ham, but he did improve as the game went on, and he will be better for the 70 minutes he did play.
Lindelof shouldn’t be a worry, and United also have Eric Bailly in reserve if needed before things get desperate.
Situations like this are why Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has a big squad available. United have the cover to cope – the team just need to get the attacking side right.
- Report: 'Outstanding' 22-year-old talent is now all set to leave Manchester United on loan
- 'Already had contact': Club chiefs admit they have had transfer interest in reported Manchester United target
- £67.5m star hands in transfer request with Manchester United linked
- Club confirm signing of 'high calibre' young player released by Manchester United
- Opinion: Cristiano Ronaldo frustration is understandable as Murtough continues to strike out
- Reward for failure: MUST criticise 'indefensible' £11m Glazer dividend payment
- 'Graveyard'… Neville says Glazers to blame as Manchester United battle for signing
- Last ditch effort to sign Manchester United midfielder being considered, 51 games played this season
- Ajax star who just quit tips Manchester United transfer target to leave for big fee