Three alternatives to Pochettino for Manchester United to consider
Speculation is mounting over whether Manchester United need to make a change of manager.
The MEN report Mauricio Pochettino has already been contacted by United in preparation for a potential change.
There is a strong case to go for Pochettino, starting with the fact he is instantly available.
He has a proven record working under financial constraints, and is also familiar with the Premier League.
But the list of options should not end with Pochettino if United want to make a change.
Here is a look at three very viable contenders for United to consider hiring…
Like Pochettino, Massimimiliano Allegri is available for hire right away.
The Italian is a proven winner, leading AC Milan to their last Serie A title in 2010/11, before going on to win five titles with Juventus.
Allegri also won four Coppa Italias, and led Juventus to the Champions League final.
His stint at Juventus saw him record a staggeringly good 70 per cent win rate during his time in charge.
One of two managers on this list who could be described as a ‘hipster choice’, Rose is one of the top up and coming managers in European football.
Rose cut his trade at Red Bull Salzburg, and was reported in January 2019 to be on United’s shortlist [The Mail], while Solskjaer was an interim appointment.
Interestingly, Rose is a disciple of Jurgen Klopp, having played under the Liverpool boss as a player. He has previously referred to him as a mentor, with Goal referring to him as the ‘new Klopp’.
Rose has since gone onto manage Borussia Moenchengladbach, leading them to a 6-0 Champions League win over Shakhtar in midweek. His current role complicates United’s chances of hiring him mid-season.
Another manager who is currently in work, United and Nagelsmann know all about each other.
He was on the wrong end of a 5-0 defeat to United a week ago, and that could make him an odd choice.
Yet there is no disputing Nagelsmann is one of the most highly rated coaches in Europe, leading RB Leipzig to the Champions League sem-finals last season.
If United did manage to secure Nagelsmann’s services, it would be a clear leg up in efforts to sign Dayot Upamecano next summer too.
- 'He can completely destroy an opponent': Ten Hag's £14.4m Ajax star raves about former Manchester United boss
- Manchester United XI that could leave this summer, including two France internationals
- 20-year-old Manchester United talent compared to De Ligt could be big winner under Ten Hag
- Ralf Rangnick gets triple injury boost ahead of final game as Manchester United manager
- Brazilian press report Antony is keen to leave Ajax, Manchester United make 'concrete proposal'
- An XI of players that has played with Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi including 3 former Manchester United stars
- Manchester United loanee gets international call despite only 71 minutes action in four months
- Manchester United can take real positive signs from Ajax's two award winners
- Bayern Munich fear wanted star is heading to sign for Manchester United