Manchester United’s players have been feeling the heat on pre-season training camp.
A picture of young defender Teden Mengi sweating in the heat illustrated how the players are being tested to their limits in the searing heat.
Mengi has been speaking about the training camp so far and says it has been a testing but enjoyable few days away.
The 19-year-old defender told United Daily: “It’s been tough but as well as it being tough its been a great week. The lads have all enjoyed it, conditions are very demanding, there is a lot of sun so we have been put through our paces and we have handled it well. We have all enjoyed it.”
His words were echoed by veteran Juan Mata, who is more used to the Spanish-style temperatures.
Mata said: “Some days physical work, tactical work, technical work, which is what we have to do in pre-season. Team bonding is good, we are here every single day, there is a good atmosphere, good energy, we are happy.”
It certainly sounds like this has been a very positive week for United’s players and the coaching staff will have learned plenty too.
There is one more day of training before Saturday’s pre-season game away at QPR and then United head back up north.
Mengi should feature this weekend
Megi played 60 minutes of United’s first pre-season friendly against Derby and coped well against the club he was on loan at last season.
It is very likely he will partner Axel Tuanzebe again this weekend again too.
Fellow youngsters Will Fish and Di’Shon Bernard are the only other centre-backs available, although it is possible that a returning Scott McTominay could feature at the position to get some minutes while freeing up some midfield spots.
Speaking about his loan last season, Mengi said: “I learned a lot at Derby. At the start I was in and out, but then I got my time to play and I learned a lot. It’s not just about playing football, it’s how to handle yourself, its men’s football, the physical side of the game, it was very good for me.”
It is very likely Mengi will go out on loan again this season. Derby are keen but restricted in terms of signing players and so he may need a different solution.
Playing at the Championship will continue to be a good test. He is a bright talent and while long-term, it will be a big task to break through at United as Axel Tuanzebe is discovering, Mengi is a player worth being excited about.
- Next Manchester United manager: Four replacements if Solskjaer is sacked
- Cristiano Ronaldo sends message to Manchester United fans after defeat
- David de Gea sends strong message to Manchester United fans
- Jesse Lingard clarifies what happened with Manchester United fan
- Bastian Schweinsteiger reacts to Manchester United’s defeat to Liverpool
- ‘Paul Scholes was right’… United fans react to Liverpool defeat
- Solskjaer reacts to United’s 5-0 defeat to Liverpool
- Harry Maguire reacts to United’s 5-0 defeat to Liverpool
- Manchester United’s three worst players against Liverpool
- Sir Alex Ferguson fumes as Manchester United hammered by Liverpool