Teden Mengi has rejoined Manchester United’s first team squad for training during a crucial week.
The 18-year-old defender was pictured at Carrington this week as United’s squad trained ahead of tonight’s Carabao Cup semi-final.
Where is Mengi in the pecking order?
Mengi is currently fifth in line at best in United’s depth chart at centre-back, without counting players switching positions.
He is behind Harry Maguire, Victor Lindelof, Eric Bailly and Axel Tuanzebe.
Of course Luke Shaw, Scott McTominay and Nemanja Matic have all filled in as emergency centre-backs at certain points.
Timothy Fosu-Mensah also played at centre-back in United’s one pre-season game.
Phil Jones remains out with injury while Marcos Rojo is in Argentina after travelling there for new year.
Mengi has a chance of being involved against City on the bench as nine substitutes can be named for the fixture.
He is more likely being brought into training with an eye on the Watford match, to feature from the bench, with a possible pairing of Lindelof and Tuanzebe starting.
A big boost for him after tough end to 2020
Mengi has switched between first team and under-23 squads since June.
And towards the end of 2020 he found it tough upon his return to under-23 football. His final game of the year saw him on the wrong end of a 6-1 defeat to Chelsea.
Then shortly after Christmas, young teammate Will Fish was pictured in first team training with Mengi absent. It was possible that under-23 ever present this season Fish had overtaken him.
It seems Mengi is very much in the picture and has a chance this week to impress Solskjaer and the coaching staff.
With a potential opportunity against Watford on the horizon, at least from the bench if United have a lead, Mengi could make his second ever appearance.
- Is Man Utd vs Villa on TV? Kick off time, team news and prediction
- Solskjaer says de Gea has been smashing personal bests in United’s fitness tests
- Predicted Manchester United line-up v Aston Villa
- Cristiano Ronaldo’s record against Aston Villa
- David de Gea excited by Cristiano Ronaldo’s early impact
- Solskjaer offers update on Cavani ahead of Villa clash
- Aston Villa boss Smith raves about United loanee Axel Tuanzebe
- Manchester United’s top under-23s scorers and assist leaders for 2021/22
- Manchester United’s top under-18s scorers and assist leaders for 2021/22
- Manchester United have doubts over signing Declan Rice