Teden Mengi has rejoined Manchester United’s first team squad for training during a crucial week.
The 18-year-old defender was pictured at Carrington this week as United’s squad trained ahead of tonight’s Carabao Cup semi-final.
Where is Mengi in the pecking order?
Mengi is currently fifth in line at best in United’s depth chart at centre-back, without counting players switching positions.
He is behind Harry Maguire, Victor Lindelof, Eric Bailly and Axel Tuanzebe.
Of course Luke Shaw, Scott McTominay and Nemanja Matic have all filled in as emergency centre-backs at certain points.
Timothy Fosu-Mensah also played at centre-back in United’s one pre-season game.
Phil Jones remains out with injury while Marcos Rojo is in Argentina after travelling there for new year.
Mengi has a chance of being involved against City on the bench as nine substitutes can be named for the fixture.
He is more likely being brought into training with an eye on the Watford match, to feature from the bench, with a possible pairing of Lindelof and Tuanzebe starting.
A big boost for him after tough end to 2020
Mengi has switched between first team and under-23 squads since June.
And towards the end of 2020 he found it tough upon his return to under-23 football. His final game of the year saw him on the wrong end of a 6-1 defeat to Chelsea.
Then shortly after Christmas, young teammate Will Fish was pictured in first team training with Mengi absent. It was possible that under-23 ever present this season Fish had overtaken him.
It seems Mengi is very much in the picture and has a chance this week to impress Solskjaer and the coaching staff.
With a potential opportunity against Watford on the horizon, at least from the bench if United have a lead, Mengi could make his second ever appearance.
- Manchester United fans react to Nemanja Matic’s performance
- Solskjaer praises Shoretire as Whiteside reacts to him breaking his record
- United fans react to Axel Tuanzebe’s performance in midfield
- Martial and Greenwood underwhelm on big night to shine
- Solskjaer hopeful of triple injury boost for Chelsea clash
- The 15 teams Manchester United can land in the Europa League draw and when it takes place
- Five things we learned as Manchester United draw 0-0 with Real Sociedad
- Eric Bailly says Solskjaer has given him valuable defensive advice
- Mateo Mejia has operation as injury bad luck continues
- United will have to get creative if decision goes against De Gea