Tahith Chong was the star as Manchester United’s under-23 side ran riot away to Newcastle for the second season running.
Last night United won 4-0, following up a 5-0 victory at St James’ Park earlier in 2019.
Chong scored two goals, one in each half, while Largie Ramazani and James Garner each continued their own scoring streaks.
It was important for Chong to make an impact, having ‘dropped down’ to play for the under-23s.
Teammates Angel Gomes and Mason Greenwood are with United’s matchday squad to face Palace in the Premier League later today.
Chong rejected a loan move The Mirror reported this week, insistent on fighting for his place at United, amid interest from abroad.
This then was a perfect response. His two goals both came from open play, cutting in from the left.
He also provided an assist, ensuring his first under-23 performance of the season was a memorable one.
Chong will get chances, possibly in the Europa League, having featured for the first team in pre-season.
Many United fans watching the game remarked that Chong was clearly too good for under-23 level.
The performance will help build his confidence for when his first team opportunity comes.
United’s under-23s have now won all three games this season, with James Garner the top scorer.
Here is a look at how United fans reacted to his performance…
- Manchester United’s two best players against Leicester City
- Two Manchester United players who struggled against Leicester City
- Manchester United fans react to Tahith Chong’s performance
- Reliable McTominay gives a commanding performance in Pogba’s absence
- Manchester United fans react to Fred’s performance
- Marcus Rashford sends message to United fans after scoring winner
- Manchester United fans react to Largie Ramazani’s performance