Tahith Chong’s up and down spell at Werder Bremen continued at the weekend.
Chong was named as a starter as Werder took on Bayer Leverkusen. But he did not have the desired impact.
The Manchester United loanee was substituted after 60 minutes after managing just 21 touches.
The game finished 1-1, with Chong failing to register a shot or create any chances, nor did he have any successful dribbles.
Manager wants more
Werder need more from Chong and had been hoping he could build on the assist he produced at the end of 2020.
Manager Florian Kohfeldt told Deichstube he wants the Dutchman to use his skills more effectively.
Kohfeldt said: “The decision-making offensively wasn’t always optimal for him either. Tahith still has to learn to use his speed more profitably for the team.”
There is a case Werder should have kept Chong on. When he was substituted they had gone 1-0 up eight minutes earlier and the loanee could have had more success as the game got stretched. Werder later conceded an equaliser.
But it was clear the manager’s patience with Chong had run out and he wanted to try an alternative, believing the United loanee was simply having a bad day.
The report noted that Chong defended well, but Kohfeldt wants him to be better in the final third.
Two United loanees recalled
United have recalled two loanees already this month, Dylan Levitt and Matej Kovar.
While Chong is still in Werder Bremen’s plans, it has to be noted that his loan is not yet going as planned from a performance standpoint.
United will probably leave his loan deal intact and see if he can play his way into form. But if United have enquiries from other teams, it’s possible the club could re-assess.
Ultimately Chong is responsible for his success or lack of it. Werder Bremen want him to do well and make the deal a successful one. Next up is a home game against Augsburg.
- Solskjaer praises Diallo’s training performances once again
- After Phil Neville lands Inter Miami job, son Harvey provides first United u23 assist
- Hannibal Mejbri shows a touch of class in under-23s defeat
- United fans hope Diallo could feature this week after u23 absence
- Three players Manchester United were lucky to avoid in the summer
- United fans react to Anthony Elanga’s impressive under-23 performance
- Manchester United must fix right wing problem, says Gary Neville
- Rashford and Fernandes need United teammates to step up
- United must give Donny van de Beek a chance to shine against Liverpool next week
- Solskjaer is impressed with Diallo early impressions amid need for width