Remember the impossible choice of a couple of seasons ago when United fans had to watch City and Liverpool battle it out for the league?
City seemed like the lesser of two evils then, and were most fans’ preference than see Liverpool win the league, before they actually did a year later.
Now in 2020/21, Manchester United are actually in a title battle of our own.
Or so it would seem after 22 games. Right now it feels like we have a shot.
So this weekend we find ourselves in an odd situation where we actually need Liverpool to win.
Somebody stop City
Liverpool take on Manchester City on Sunday and we actually need a favour from Jurgen Klopp’s side.
They are enduring a bad run of form at the moment and have lost home games against Burnley and now Brighton.
This has seen them drop points to fall four points behind United.
This could be seven if they lose at the weekend and United beat Everton. It would be a scenario which would give us plenty to crow over.
And yet somebody needs to stop Pep Guardiola’s City, who are on one of those relentless winning runs.
Liverpool still managed to beat Tottenham a week ago and are capable of beating City when not many teams are.
City are three points ahead of us with a game in hand. We need them to drop points somewhere.
Backing a Liverpool win is uncomfortable for any Manchester United fan, but this is the strange scenario we find ourselves in this weekend.
In some ways it is ‘win win’ for United. Somebody will drop points, possibly both.
From a pragmatic view its probably better if it is City who lose. And that really shows up how far United have come this season. We now need Liverpool to win and do us a favour.
- Goalkeepers who have scored for Manchester United
- Anthony Martial returns to first team training
- Three early questions for Manchester United ahead of Europa League final
- Three relegated players Manchester United could try to sign
- Three questions for Manchester United ahead of Fulham game
- Fred sends message after winning first Brazil call since 2018
- It is now clear how important Harry Maguire is for Manchester United
- Why Manchester United should keep James Garner close to home after claims of possible foreign loan
- Manchester United should let Charlie McNeill train with Edinson Cavani while he can