Manchester United target Bruno Fernandes was in action last night for Sporting.
He showed exactly why United should sign him, scoring two goals in a 3-1 away win over Vitoria Setubal.
Fernandes created three chances too in a game he dominated, making more touches (97) than any player on the pitch.
It was almost like he was trying to get noticed, and earn a big move.
Fernandes’ manager Jorge Silas admitted after the game he was unclear if his star man will stay.
Sporting have a big game against rivals Benfica on Friday night.
Silas was quoted by Mais Futebol when asked about Fernandes’ possible departure and presence in the derby: “I cannot assure you of both. I do not know. I’m already thinking about the game with Benfica and I’m thinking about taking Bruno.”
Understandably for the Sporting boss, until he is told by his bosses that Fernandes is being sold, he will plan to play him.
But his comments highlighted a level of uncertainty and shows United have a chance.
His presence in the side last night showed that a United deal is far from done.
Sky Sports reported on Friday night how United are ‘closing in’ on a deal for Fernandes with Sporting allegedly keen to sell to raise funds.
His goals last night were his 13th and 14th of the season, and he also has 10 assists to his name.
One way or another Fernandes could be playing a big derby game next weekend. Either for Sporting against Benfica, or for United against Liverpool.
- 'Outstanding' Manchester United star ranking second in Europe is worrying trend
- Who is the 15-year-old striker with £14m release clause Manchester United are reportedly interested in?
- 'I'd have him back tomorrow'… Some Manchester United fans react to report about former Red Devil
- Manchester United have one of Europe's brightest young talents and risk squandering him
- Anthony Martial suggests Sevilla have tried to sign him from Manchester United before