Solskjaer has to drop under-performing stars Maguire and Shaw vs Spurs
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer will already be thinking about whether to pick the same starting line-up against Tottenham following the massacre against Liverpool.
Luke Shaw and even club captain Harry Maguire could be two players that face being dropped following a string of below-par performances.
The England duo have struggled to transmit their European Championship form into club football since the start of the season.
Shaw openly admitted that he was poor against Jurgen Klopp’s side, but with Alex Telles and Eric Bailly waiting in the wings, maybe its time for Shaw and Maguire to be dropped.
Victor Lindelof is by no means blameless, he’s been equally culpable for our shortcomings, but beyond Bailly, our current centre back cover extends only to Phil Jones and Teden Mengi.
We are seriously missing the leadership of Raphael Varane at a crucial time.
Summer hangover for Shaw and Maguire
Agonisingly losing a European Championship final on penalties is something that will stay with you forever.
But Shaw and Maguire look a shadow of their former selves currently, unable to shrug off the summer disappointment.
They got closer to one and other then any Liverpool player yesterday.
Usually so rock solid, the pair look like they are playing together for the very first time.
Maguire’s rushed return against Leicester couldn’t have gone any worst and Shaw’s reinstatement against Everton following Telles’ wonder strike against Villarreal didn’t exactly go to plan.
With games against Tottenham, Atalanta and Manchester City to come, Shaw and Maguire need to click into gear and fast.
But with Telles and Bailly hoping for a chance to stake their claim, maybe now’s the time for Solskjaer to ring the changes starting with Shaw and Maguire.
- Gary Neville and Rio Ferdinand react to Manchester United's diabolical first half performance against Manchester City
- Erik ten Hag explains his Manchester United team selection against Manchester City
- Confirmed Manchester United XI v Manchester City: Ten Hag makes one change to side that beat Sheriff
- “Pure talent”: Manchester United ace reacts to Juan Mata making his Galatasaray debut
- 17-year-old Manchester United wonderkid produces moment of brilliance and spearheads big win