Raphael Varane had to leave the pitch injured in the first half for Manchester United against Atalanta.
Losing Varane was a major blow for United after just getting him back from an injury sustained for France.
Varane went off in the 36th minute after going down off the ball.
Solskjaer told BT Sport: “He felt his hamstring and you can’t take any risks. He was such a calming influence.”
Full diagnosis still to come
United will be hoping there is a chance Varane will be fit for this weekend’s derby with Manchester City.
But is is probably very unlikely. Hamstring injuries can mean weeks out.
If this was just a precaution then United could get away with it, but the team should not take any risks.
There is an international break coming up and United will want to get Varane back fully fit afterwards, and potentially he could sit out France’s qualifiers.
United are hoping Victor Lindelof will be fit for this weekend, which may influence whether the team play with three at the back against City.
Eric Bailly was outstanding, outclassing teammate Harry Maguire, and he deserves to keep his place.
One positive aspect of Varane’s injury is that it was not a recurrence of his previous groin problem recently sustained with France.
Although a fresh hamstring injury could end up being just as bad. We can only hope he will miss minimal time.
- Rangnick should reward talented Manchester United youngster after eye-catching display
- Manchester United would be foolish not to pursue signing 'unplayable' £135m man on a free transfer
- 'Never give up': Manchester United players react as ex-teammate makes return after 321 days injured
- 4 Chances Created: Manchester United loan midfielder makes another case for recall
- 'Will be a club captain'… Some fans react to Manchester United loanee's 'outstanding' performance and interview
- 'Need time on the grass': Manager provides update on Manchester United loanee
- Report: Manchester United ace turns down loan move to Premier League side
- BBC pundits claim 'quality' Manchester United player 'stepped up' against Aston Villa
- 'Frustrated' Manchester United ace sends message to fans after Aston Villa draw
- 'Superb', 'Proper footballer'… Some fans react to Manchester United loanee's performance
- 5 Interceptions: Manchester United star gave it his all, but Red Devils must move on