Solskjaer gives injury update on Raphael Varane
Raphael Varane had to leave the pitch injured in the first half for Manchester United against Atalanta.
Losing Varane was a major blow for United after just getting him back from an injury sustained for France.
Varane went off in the 36th minute after going down off the ball.
Solskjaer told BT Sport: “He felt his hamstring and you can’t take any risks. He was such a calming influence.”
Full diagnosis still to come
United will be hoping there is a chance Varane will be fit for this weekend’s derby with Manchester City.
But is is probably very unlikely. Hamstring injuries can mean weeks out.
If this was just a precaution then United could get away with it, but the team should not take any risks.
There is an international break coming up and United will want to get Varane back fully fit afterwards, and potentially he could sit out France’s qualifiers.
United are hoping Victor Lindelof will be fit for this weekend, which may influence whether the team play with three at the back against City.
Eric Bailly was outstanding, outclassing teammate Harry Maguire, and he deserves to keep his place.
One positive aspect of Varane’s injury is that it was not a recurrence of his previous groin problem recently sustained with France.
Although a fresh hamstring injury could end up being just as bad. We can only hope he will miss minimal time.
- Manchester United reignite interest in 20-year-old who cost £4.5m and scored against the Reds last season
- 26-year-old ace shows what he could bring to Ten Hag's Manchester United with match-winning cameo
- 25-year-old ace who reportedly wants Manchester United move has 3 assists in 2 games
- £70m superstar shows Erik ten Hag what he's missing at Manchester United with dazzling display
- Report: 'Furious' Ten Hag orders Manchester United flops to report to Carrington for extra training session
- Thomas Frank gives his verdict on Brentford fans booing Manchester United's Christian Eriksen
- 4 chances created from 18 touches: £35m Manchester United target continues to dazzle
- Manchester United 'really confident' of sealing fourth summer signing, says Romano
- Ten Hag says Manchester United's players did not do what he asked against Brentford
- 'I cost three points'… Manchester United star accepts responsibility for 4-0 loss
- Rio Ferdinand reacts to Manchester United's 4-0 defeat to Brentford