Solskjaer comments on van de Beek after interview with Ferdinand
Manchester United midfielder Donny van de Beek was in the headlines during the international break.
The Dutchman gave an interview to United legend Rio Ferdinand about his tough start to life at Old Trafford so far.
One of the things he spoke about is his ability to play as a deeper lying midfielder, in one of the two holding roles in Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s team.
The United boss was asked about van de Beek’s comments in an interview with Beyond the Pitch on YouTube, and said the midfielder is just waiting to be ‘unleashed’.
“Donny’s got very good qualities. He’s had a disappointing season last year, disappointing end when he got his injury and couldn’t play at the Euros,” said Solskjaer.
“He’s worked really hard and he’s waiting to be unleashed. He’s waiting to play again and show what he can do.
“He can play as one of two number sixes, as an eight, an attacking midfielder, as a ten – we’ve used him wide left too. He’s a footballer with many qualities we like at the club.
“He can play as one of the two in midfield.”
Van de Beek deserves his chance in the matches ahead and his versatility should help with that.
There is such great competition for places in the United side now though, and that has only increased with Cristiano Ronaldo’s arrival.
Solskjaer has continued to back van de Beek in public. The midfielder has done the work in training.
Now let’s get a chance to see him on a consistent basis in a red shirt.
- Deal close: Manchester United hope to finalise £69m De Jong move by end of the week
- 'Watch Love Island instead': Six worst/funniest reviews left by Manchester United fans on Paul Pogba's documentary
- Report: 'Outstanding' 22-year-old talent is now all set to leave Manchester United on loan
- 'Already had contact': Club chiefs admit they have had transfer interest in reported Manchester United target
- £67.5m star hands in transfer request with Manchester United linked