Manchester United’s FA Cup third round matchwinner Scott McTominay has sent a classy message to teammate Raphael Varane on social media.
The Frenchman was making his debut in the illustrious cup competition and produced one of his best performances since joining the club in the summer.
The former Real Madrid man was the first player to congratulate McTominay who headed home the decisive goal against Steven Gerrard’s Aston Villa last night.
Playing against a Villa forward line containing Danny Ings and Ollie Watkins, the World Cup winner faced a stern test.
But it was a test that he stood up to and relished. United’s number 19 embraced the battle and his confidence seemed to grow as the game wore on.
It was the type of commanding performance that United fans were hoping to see throughout the campaign, but a combination of injuries, poor form and playing in an unsettled side has meant that Varane’s adaptation to Premier League football his been problematic.
But judging by last night’s signs, the French international looks ready to kick on and play a crucial role in our quest for success during the second half of the campaign.
United’s chances of success will only increase with every passing game that Varane plays on the spin.
Striding forward in possession, timing his blocks and tackles to perfection, it was an impressive night’s work by the World Cup winner which didn’t go unnoticed by United’s goalscorer.
Although McTominay is suspended for Saturday’s trip to Villa Park, Varane looks to be getting up to speed with the frantic pace, tempo and physicality of English football.
United fans will be hoping that when Scott McTominay is watching Saturday’s clash as well, Varane produces another ‘top draw’ performance which sees us beat Steven Gerrard in back-to-back matches.
- Report: Ralf Rangnick recommends Manchester United sign star who is 'streets ahead of Maguire'
- Manchester United star at risk of missing clash with former side following injury setback
- 5 things which have changed since Manchester United were top of the league one year ago today
- Manchester United's most exciting attacking player must make key change to his game
- Report: Europa League club linked with January swoop for yet another Manchester United player