After seemingly impressive progress early last week (via Guardian), we had hoped United might have struck an agreement with Borussia Dortmund by now for Jadon Sancho.
And despite Dortmund’s supposed deadline for the deal being today (August 10), we are confident United will find a way to get this done.
The key factor here is Sancho’s reported desire to sign for United. Even BILD report the winger has agreed personal terms already on a five-year deal.
This makes everything easier for United, and his friendship with Marcus Rashford and Jesse Lingard can be a key factor.
When you look at United’s alternatives, there is not a viable one which ticks the same boxes.
Walking away from this deal or failure to get it done would leave United in an unwanted position.
Yes, there will be money to spend, but will there be a player of the same calibre as Sancho willing to uproot and commit himself to United’s project?
United could find a player to fit, but said player may not want to join for the same reasons.
You need only need to look back at the Angel di Maria deal in 2014. United flashed enough money in front of Real Madrid and Di Maria that both felt unable to say no.
But did Di Maria really want to sign for United? The answer became obvious within a year as he forced through an exit to Paris Saint-Germain.
What are United’s alternate options?
There is no obvious second choice. ESPN link Bayern’s Kingsley Coman.
Wolves winger Adama Traore is one who United could throw a load of money at in an attempt to force a move through.
Sevilla’s Lucas Ocampos is a quality alternative without the big name value.
These three players could each come to Old Trafford and be successful, yet who is to say they even want to right now? We can assume they may be, but we don’t know.
We do know Sancho does want a move, and United cannot undervalue that. It’s priceless.
And this is even before questioning whether any of these players possess the same quality as Sancho, who struck 20 goals and provided 18 assists last season.
- Predicted Manchester United XI v Luton Town
- Joe Hugill gets off to perfect start with brace for United’s under-18s side
- Report: Manchester United resigned to keeping injured Phil Jones
- Report: Alex Telles hoping to seal Manchester United move
- Key points from Evra’s Instagram video about the state of affairs at Manchester United
- Wilfried Zaha should have taught United a lesson over Dan James
- James Garner’s loan move to Watford is a bold choice
- Angel Gomes impresses in debut for Boavista after quitting United
- Paul Pogba’s performance puts his place in doubt v Brighton