Missing out on a move for Jadon Sancho did not seem so terrible when the winger struggled to hit form at the start of the season.
Now Manchester United might be regretting it a little bit more. Sancho is finally flying.
He has seven goal contributions in his last seven games, four goals and three assists.
United meanwhile have struggled. The whole team has just six goals in the last six league matches.
Class is permanent?
Sancho netted at the weekend as Dortmund beat Augsburg 3-1. He created three chances and had three successful dribbles, causing problems for his opponents throughout.
This season in total for Dortmund, Sancho now has 7 goals and 9 assists.
His campaign last season ended on 19 total goals and 18 assists, which seemed impossible at one stage to match up to. If he carries on his rich run of form then he has a chance.
He now has 41 goals for the club in total and could hit the 50 milestone by the end of the season.
German channel Sport1 reported last week that Dortmund are likely going to have to cash in on Sancho in the summer.
We wrote last week how striker Erling Haaland might actually be a bigger need for United than Sancho, but he would be a lot harder to sign.
United still need a winger, a player capable of unlocking defences. That might turn out to be Amad Diallo, which would save United millions on Sancho.
But could there be a dream scenario where United end up with both, and have Diallo and Sancho battling it out for a spot and pushing each other on?
United have to decide between now and then whether a winger is a priority, or if centre-back is going to be where most money is invested. A report from the Mirror claims Sevilla defender Jules Kounde is the club’s top target.
Sancho’s form would be easier to ignore if United’s attack was clicking and firing on all cylinders. At present it’s not, and the invention Sancho could provide could be a big difference maker.
- Marcel Sabitzer’s record against British teams explored and why the Austrian could be a lucky charm vs Barcelona
- Will Martin Dubravka be awarded a winner’s medal if Manchester United win the Carabao Cup?
- Marcel Sabitzer has scored more club career goals than Anthony Martial
- Report: Mason Greenwood considers China career move
- Jadon Sancho breaks three month social media silence with message to Manchester United fans
- Jadon Sancho has just solved a Manchester United squad dilemma
- Five reasons Marcel Sabitzer is a fantastic signing for Manchester United
- Predicted Manchester United line-up v Crystal Palace
- Erik ten Hag is now personally tracking the progress of Eredivisie midfielder Taylor Booth
- Paul Merson gets it wrong over Sabitzer again and predicts Manchester United could drop points v Crystal Palace