Sancho has solved his form problem just as United's attack falters
Missing out on a move for Jadon Sancho did not seem so terrible when the winger struggled to hit form at the start of the season.
Now Manchester United might be regretting it a little bit more. Sancho is finally flying.
He has seven goal contributions in his last seven games, four goals and three assists.
United meanwhile have struggled. The whole team has just six goals in the last six league matches.
Class is permanent?
Sancho netted at the weekend as Dortmund beat Augsburg 3-1. He created three chances and had three successful dribbles, causing problems for his opponents throughout.
This season in total for Dortmund, Sancho now has 7 goals and 9 assists.
His campaign last season ended on 19 total goals and 18 assists, which seemed impossible at one stage to match up to. If he carries on his rich run of form then he has a chance.
He now has 41 goals for the club in total and could hit the 50 milestone by the end of the season.
German channel Sport1 reported last week that Dortmund are likely going to have to cash in on Sancho in the summer.
We wrote last week how striker Erling Haaland might actually be a bigger need for United than Sancho, but he would be a lot harder to sign.
United still need a winger, a player capable of unlocking defences. That might turn out to be Amad Diallo, which would save United millions on Sancho.
But could there be a dream scenario where United end up with both, and have Diallo and Sancho battling it out for a spot and pushing each other on?
United have to decide between now and then whether a winger is a priority, or if centre-back is going to be where most money is invested. A report from the Mirror claims Sevilla defender Jules Kounde is the club’s top target.
Sancho’s form would be easier to ignore if United’s attack was clicking and firing on all cylinders. At present it’s not, and the invention Sancho could provide could be a big difference maker.
- Dani Alves has given backing to Manchester United target with £340m release clause
- Manchester United still scouting wonderkid three years after Old Trafford trial, 2023 earliest deal possible
- 'It will not be long'… Patrick Kluivert raves about Manchester United linked Antony
- Lingard and Elanga lead reaction as young Manchester United striker announces departure
- Triple sale would be a ruthless way for Erik ten Hag to start Manchester United's summer
- Manchester United offered chance to sign star Ten Hag sold for £23.8m
- Manchester United cancel the end of season awards ceremony, it's the right decision
- 5 Ajax players who will actually improve Manchester United: Including £50m target
- How Manchester United could make £120 million in player sales this summer to get £240m budget
- Nemanja Matic tells Manchester United fans an absolute diamond is coming through who has surprised him