Rio Ferdinand and Edwin van der Sar react to Manchester United win
Manchester United had to work hard for a victory against Newcastle.
By the end the scoreline threatened to get out of control.
Newcastle scored with a deflected effort after just two minutes, and it looked at first that United could be in for another tough evening.
Harry Maguire scored an impressive header to equalise and send United in level at half-time.
With the scoreline level the game was well balanced. David de Gea pulled off a wondersave to stop United going behind again in the second half.
Bruno Fernandes then oddly missed a penalty, and it was after that when United really took over.
Fernandes himself scored after a fantastic team move, and had one goal ruled out for offside in the first half.
Aaron Wan-Bissaka netted his first ever goal for the club, before Marcus Rashford made it four as United ran riot.
Former United star Rio Ferdinand praised midfielder Juan Mata as the key to United’s display.
Mata was making his first start in the Premier League this season and created three chances.
Ex-United goalkeeper Edwin van der Sar praised the team’s performance, and the patience they showed.
United are now up to six points from four games, having won both away matches.
This result helps get our goal difference a little more on track, and everybody who played will feel confidence rising.
With big games against PSG and Chelsea in the next week, United needed this.
- Like Haaland: Van Dijk names 'quick' Manchester United striker target as one of his toughest opponents
- Manchester United keeping track of 'huge talent' Kouadio Kone
- Amazing unseen footage emerges of Manchester United's 1999 Treble win
- Prolific striker Ralf Rangnick wanted at Manchester United scores 6 goals in one game
- 'I know'… Club chief speaks out over 34-goal Manchester United target amid 'official offer' claims
- 21-year-old Manchester United loanee hits the gym ahead of important summer
- 39-year-old Manchester United man announces retirement from professional football
- 5 Italian players that played for Manchester United amid links with £51m former Atalanta man
- 'I blame the Glazers': Neville says Manchester United should have axed figure years ago