Jack Grealish has already decided he wants to move to Manchester United in the summer, according to a report published last night by Goal.
Grealish is already said to be house hunting in Manchester ahead of a potential transfer, and claims personal terms are already agreed in principle
What can go wrong?
While this seems like great news, we are a long way from the transfer window opening. The last one has only just closed.
But Grealish was never on the agenda in January, with Aston Villa never going to let their star man go mid-season.
Villa are battling relegation, and dropping down into the Championship would signal Grealish’s departure.
If they survive, they still may not be able to hang onto him, but it would strengthen their negotiating position, potentially pushing his price up.
United have to do things by the book. If this report, or continued links irritate Villa and they feel he has been approached behind their back, they could refuse to negotiate and block a move.
Grealish, who scored at Old Trafford against United in December, is currently being valued at £60 million in the press.
Grealish house hunting in Manchester could positively affect them, and Pep Guardiola/or a potential replacement will be given plenty of money to spend this summer after a disappointing season
It’s up to United to show Grealish we want him more, and convince him he can play a central part in our future.
He’s already reportedly keen on joining, so that’s half the battle won.
But there’s a long time between now and May. Even if this report turns out to be 100 per cent accurate, let’s not get over confident or assume anything.
- Pictures: Pogba posts training update during break as Ronaldo joins another Manchester United teammate
- Scottish league champions set to sign Manchester United wonderkid on loan
- Two make debuts as Manchester United under-18s reach Premier League Cup quarter-finals
- 'Had conversations': £13m man admits to Manchester United talks
- 'Great player': Manchester United star urged to produce best form in World Cup qualifiers