Manchester United’s interest in Eduardo Camavinga was reported by L’Equipe this week.
While no bid has come in yet from United, the Red Devils are considered frontrunners and the teenager is unwilling to sign a new contract.
Camavinga’s deal expires in June 2022 and Rennes are will want to cash in this summer.
Indeed they appear to be making preparations for Camavinga’s exit, with a move for a potential replacement lined up.
Le Parisien report Rennes are in negotiations with Danish side FC Midtjylland for midfielder Jens Cajuste.
Cajuste is a Sweden international and would cost the French side around £8-10 million, around a third of the fee they could demand for Camavinga.
Footmercato report Cajuste has been convinced to join Rennes, and a fee just needs to be agreed between the clubs.
Cajuste, 21, is a defensive midfielder who would be straightforward replacement for Camavinga when he exits. He is also a bright talent who they may be able to cash in on for a higher fee in the future.
United’s big challenge is to win Camavinga over amid interest from Paris Saint-Germain.
The fee is not likely to be prohibitive, with The Guardian reporting he could be available for just £25.7 million [30m Euros].
Even if this fee went up to around £40 million, a move would still be considered a bargain considering Camavinga’s high potential.
The young midfielder is considered one of Europe’s brightest talents, and to secure his services for the next five to six years would be huge for United.
- Cavani not ready for West Ham clash but will hopefully return next week
- Recent United target Eduardo Camavinga makes flying start at Madrid
- West Ham’s Croatia trip gives Manchester United a rare advantage
- Patrice Evra reacts to reports Cristiano Ronaldo moved home due to ‘noisy sheep’
- How will James Garner be affected by Nottingham Forest sacking Hughton?
- Raphael Varane’s freakishly unlucky Champions League opening game record
- Manchester United’s ‘What If…?’ moment: Jude Bellingham would have completed Red Devils team
- German press react to Jadon Sancho’s slow start at Manchester United
- Unai Emery gives verdict on Manchester United’s defeat to Young Boys
- Young Boys star says Solskjaer tactics made their task tougher
- Chong, Garner, Laird: Mixed night for Manchester United loan trio
- How has Angel Gomes fared since making his debut for French champions Lille?