England have lost the Euro 2020 final on penalties.
Manchester United’s players were involved in a brave but disappointing display from start to finish.
Luke Shaw incredibly scored England’s opener after just two minutes sparking wild celebrations. It seemed this could finally be England’s moment.
Shaw scored just one goal for United this past season, netting against City at the Etihad. Clearly he is becoming a player who saves his best for the big occasion.
The story of the night unfortunately was penalties after Italy equalised in the second half.
And sadly Manchester United’s players had a part to play. Harry Maguire scored his penalty into the top corner. But it was downhill from there.
Marcus Rashford, on as a substitute, missed his spot kick with England ahead in the shootout.
It was a heartbreaking moment and a really terrible penalty which hit the post after a peculiar run-up.
Incoming United signing Jadon Sancho then saw his spot kick saved before Bukayo Saka missed the decisive penalty.
It was a heartbreaking way for England to lose. As Manchester United know well.
- Loanee Ethan Galbraith impresses with assist in rare win
- United need Maguire to produce captain’s performance against Liverpool
- Luke Shaw will have to be at his best to nullify Mohamed Salah threat
- Rashford will be looking to maintain his goalscoring return against Liverpool
- What channel is Man United v Liverpool on? Kick off time, live stream and latest team news
- Mike Phelan sends rallying cry to Manchester United fans
- Brandon Williams plays first game in four weeks and it ends badly
- Zach Giggs plays in Manchester United under-18 win
- Matic expects Elanga to make the grade at United