Manchester United need to make a managerial change. This was highlighted by the 2-0 home loss to City.
United are nine points off the top of the table and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer looks lost.
So with Antonio Conte no longer an option due to his appointment at Tottenham, who could come in?
According to BILD reporter Christian Falk, Ralf Rangnick is interested in the United job, having first been touted three years ago after Jose Mourinho was sacked.
Rangnick could be a smart appointment
Rangnick is seen in German circles as a revolutionary coach who helped turn RB Leipzig into one of the country’s top clubs.
He is currently out of management, and is working in a development role at Lokomotiv Moscow.
Per Falk’s tweet, this would not stop him taking up the United job if it were offered to him.
Rangnick has experience in both management and in a director of football role.
Even if he were not the long-term managerial solution for United, he could be the perfect interim option to pave the way for an Erik Ten Hag, who is not going to leave Ajax before the season ends.
Rangnick’s sides are renowned for buying smartly within their budget, and for playing high intensity attacking football.
If United were not already interested, then news of his interest should wake the board up.
It is time for United to move on from Solskjaer and a man of Rangnick’s experience and intelligence could set United back on the right course.
He could be exactly what the club need right now to move forward.
- What channel is the Chelsea v Man Utd Premier League match on? Kick off time, live stream and latest team news
- Charlie McNeill continues hot streak despite U23s defeat
- Ralf Rangnick is the perfect man to hand over to an elite permanent United manager
- Who is Ronald Araujo and why is he being linked to Manchester United?
- Cavani issues fitness update ahead of United’s clash with Chelsea