Ralf Rangnick praised Jadon Sancho as 'phenomenal'
Jadon Sancho is hitting form at just the right time. At least where Ralf Rangnick is concerned.
The winger has two goals in his last two games, picking up ahead of Rangnick’s impending arrival as interim manager.
Sancho is a player who is highly admired by Rangnick, who admitted he tried to sign the winger for RB Leizpig back in 2017, when he chose to leave Manchester City and moved to Borussia Dortmund.
Speaking to Sky Sports in 2020, Rangnick explained that the deal got as far as holding talks with the player.
He said: “We were scouting him for four years at Leipzig and we even met Jadon, his family and his agent three years ago. Ralph Hasenhuttl (then RB Leipzig manager) and myself met them in London but unfortunately he decided to then go to Borussia Dortmund.”
Highly valued star
Manchester United paid £73 million to sign Sancho from Dortmund back in July, the club’s fourth highest expensive ever transfer. At one stage it looked like United may have to pay even more.
Rangnick is a big fan, explaining: “His development in the last three years has been amazing. He’s one of the best wing offensive players in Europe currently.
“If you look at his statistics last season in the Bundesliga he had 18 goals and 18 assists.
“As a winger player, those statistics are phenomenal and currently in Europe I don’t see any other player with his combination of pace, being dangerous in front of goal and ability to get assists. He’s one of the biggest talents in Europe.”
The future is bright for Sancho
One fear about Manchester United’s players under Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, was that he would not be able to develop them to their full potential.
Rangnick has a track record of working with and developing young talent, and will be delighted to finally get the chance to work with a player he regards as one of the best on the continent.
Sancho is under a long term contract with Manchester United until 2026, and Rangnick will ensure United appoint a permanent manager next year who is also suited to getting the best out of the young winger.
Getting the chance to work with Sancho will have been one of the big attractions to Rangnick about the Manchester United job.
- 'Really good': Erik ten Hag says he has been impressed by 'high potential' Manchester United player in training
- 7 Manchester United players could make first appearance against Manchester City for Red Devils
- Pep Guardiola hails 'incredible' Manchester United player as well as 4 Red Devils midfielders
- Ten Hag press conference: Manchester United star doing 'really well' in training, could come into team vs City
- 4-3-3: Manchester United's strongest XI on FIFA 23, top scorer and two Ten Hag favourites miss out
- 'Technical ability is frightening': Teammate raves about player Manchester United let go this summer
- 'It was ready'… Manchester United star visited Real Madrid ahead of potential transfer, says former agent
- Manchester United star has already proved he was right to snub £17m City move, now he must show them
- Manchester United star thrilled to win award he did not know existed
- Opinion: Ten Hag must be considering brave call to start 20-year-old in Manchester derby
- One year since his worst Manchester United moment, 23-year-old is at career high point