Predicted Manchester United XI v Everton
Manchester United face Everton in an early kick-off on Saturday in a game which has become a ‘must win’ for Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.
United head into the game on the back of two straight defeats – as do Everton, who are without key man Richarlison again due to suspension.
When United have had a big game, Solskjaer has often turned to a 3-4-1-2 formation.
United’s defending was terrible against Istanbul Basaksehir and rectifying that is essential at Goodison Park.
Solskjaer has terrible memories of a 4-0 defeat here in April 2019, when United got off to a terrible start by conceding two goals in the first half hour.
This will reinforce United’s need to with a 3-4-1-2 formation at Goodison.
Picking the right players to go with this is a challenge in itself, and there will be plenty of talent sitting out.
United are hoping Victor Lindelof will be passed fit after missing the midweek game with a back injury.
If selecting a back three, it is very possible Luke Shaw will come in, rather than Axel Tuanzebe, who would be a replacement for Lindelof if required.
This would mean a start for Brandon Williams at left wing-back, with Alex Telles still working up to fitness. The Brazilian may only be able to figure on the bench.
In midfield, Solskjaer is likely to turn to his trusted duo of Scott McTominay and Fred.
Bruno Fernandes owes United a big performance and he will likely start, with Paul Pogba, Donny van de Beek and Nemanja Matic all missing out.
United have a tough decision in attack to find the right combination. This could be an ideal time to give Edinson Cavani his first start.
Marcus Rashford has not followed up his RB Leipzig hat-trick so far. This would be an ideal time for him to do so.
Anthony Martial has a case after scoring in midweek. He will likely feature from the bench along with Mason Greenwood.
Greenwood’s best chance of starting will be if United go with a 4-2-3-1 formation, but we would expect United favour the defensive solidity of this approach.
This team would see five changes from the midweek fixture.
In: Cavani, McTominay, Fred, Williams, Lindelof
Out: Martial, Mata, Van de Beek, Matic, Tuanzebe
- 4-2-3-1: Predicted Manchester United XI v Brentford, 4 changes, McTominay dropped
- Photo: Youngster signs Manchester United contract after academy transfer
- Erik ten Hag press conference: Manchester United will make signings before transfer window closes
- 'Will not be available': Ten Hag confirms two Manchester United players will miss Brentford clash through injury
- Report: Manchester United raise £1m transfer target budget to £7m
- Photos: Cristiano Ronaldo features as United officially release new 2022/23 third kit
- Forget Arnautovic, the most ludicrous Manchester United striker link yet has emerged
- Manchester United's possible midfield solution could finally make career-changing breakthrough this weekend
- Report: £63m Manchester United target's fiancee 'desperate' to stay put
- 'Could be good for United'… French expert says £19m star could thrive under Ten Hag