Predicted Manchester United line-up v West Ham
Ralf Rangnick may have finally had a breakthrough at Manchester United. It seems like he has finally settled on a formation.
Rangnick spoke before the Brentford game about a desire to play a 4-3-3, and the impressive 3-1 win will strengthen his resolve.
He explained: “We have now decided to play in a 4-3-3, like we played against Aston Villa, with one holding six and two eights, with three offensive players.”
Key to this is playing Bruno Fernandes in a little more of a withdrawn role, in an ‘eight’ rather than a ‘ten’. The Portuguese star has scored two goals and provided two assists in his last two games.
How will United line up?
Rangnick probably would have named an unchanged XI for the first time as Manchester United manager, with players all over the pitch justifying retaining their places in the line-up, if not for the unfortunate news regarding Victor Lindelof, and Cristiano Ronaldo also battling a neck injury.
Lindelof is unavailable due to personal circumstances after a break-in at his family home. Harry Maguire will return to the side in Lindelof’s place, to partner Raphael Varane.
There is a similar new approach at full-back, with Diogo Dalot and Alex Telles performing well and deserving to keep their places. Luke Shaw is struggling for fitness, while Aaron Wan-Bissaka is battling illness anyway.
United’s midfield should pick itself currently, with Scott McTominay, Fred, and Bruno Fernandes each deserving to retain their places in the re-worked midfield three.
Nemanja Matic and Donny van de Beek will be on the bench, while Paul Pogba is not fit enough to feature despite returning to training.
The big call will come in attack, and we should see Anthony Elanga retain his place after his midweek goal. With Ronaldo possibly out, Greenwood will lead the line and Marcus Rashford will start on the right, with Jadon Sancho still questionable. Expect plenty of movement and position switching across the front three.
The weekend’s match is a must-win game, and hopefully United can enter the international break on a high.
Edinson Cavani is also battling for fitness and unlikely to start. If Ronaldo is fit to start, then he will start up front, Greenwood out wide, and Rashford on the bench.
- Erik ten Hag's first five signings as Ajax manager including two former Premier League stars
- Five players Manchester United had very lucky escapes on including '£50m-valued midfielder'
- Long-serving Manchester United academy coach set to leave as behind the scenes changes continue
- 'We are going to win trophies'… Manchester United star optimistic about silverware next season
- 5 free agents Manchester United could sign this summer including Rangnick's international DM and '£85m' Italy striker
- 'He delivers'… Steve McClaren is a huge fan of 25-year-old Manchester United midfielder
- 'Every detail'… Erik ten Hag says he has a 'good feeling' about Manchester United
- 17-year-old wonderkid 'expected' to go on Manchester United pre-season tour
- Ten Hag's first Ajax XI star gives 7-word brutal truth on Dutchman's Manchester United chances