Phil Jones says opponents are scared of Aaron Wan-Bissaka
Aaron Wan-Bissaka has made a big impression since signing for Manchester United in the summer.
Phil Jones has been explaining just how much of an impression he has made first hand.
Jones told United’s official website that he has seen opponents deliberately shy away from trying to take on United’s new right-back.
He said: “His tackling’s probably some of the best I’ve seen, and no one wants to go past him.
“You see players now stopping, turning around and going the other way, so that’s a credit to him.”
Wan-Bissaka has been an ever present this season in the Premier League for United, helping to keep two clean sheets.
What about Jones himself?
Jones has not yet featured this season, although that is set to change this week. He is likely to start in the Europa League alongside Axel Tuanzebe.
Currently Jones is United’s fourth choice centre-back, and could slip back further once Eric Bailly returns from injury.
To his credit, Jones had a solid pre-season, even scoring in the win over Leeds, and he has looked more confident and improved since Ole Gunnar Solskjaer took over last December.
His past array of mistakes is vast, and there is no room for error for him. It would be fair to say he is in the last chance saloon.
He needs to get it right against Astana on Thursday and be a help to the more inexperienced Tuanzebe, rather than a hindrance.
- Manchester United star says unhappy teammates must leave, can't wait to play under Ten Hag
- Absent Manchester United star attends charity game while teammates lose to Crystal Palace
- Ten Hag's former player and ex-Red Devil both help bail Manchester United out
- Gary Neville mocks Liverpool after missing out on Premier League title
- Photo: Manchester United ace waves goodbye to fans after Crystal Palace defeat