Who saw that coming? Manchester United turned in a wretched display to lose 2-1 at home to Crystal Palace.
Dan James equalised late, before sloppy defending and bad goalkeeping allowed Palace to snatch a late winner.
Its hard to begrudge Palace the win on balance, they defended well, and United were simply not good enough.
Former United goalkeeper Peter Schmeichel joked on social media after the loss.
He remarked that United should be pleased the European transfer window is still open for another week, so we can sell some players.
Now it is not realistic United will be selling anybody who started today, but the sentiment is understandable.
Schmeichel’s comment might have been a sly dig at Paul Pogba, who has been linked with a move away throughout the summer.
United have just four points from three games. The draw at Wolves was palatable if we had beaten Palace. This completely undermines what was a positive start to the season.
Being good at counter attacking is fine, but it falls down without creativity to break down teams who defend deep.
The need for creativity has been something fans were calling for all summer.
If only the transfer window was open still to buy players. It could be a long, long wait until January.
- United talent Matej Kovar is beginning to show what he is capable of
- Aaron Wan-Bissaka demonstrates desire and quality in United win
- James Maddison showed the quality he could add to Manchester United
- Hannibal Mejbri makes Manchester United under-18s debut
- Solskjaer improves in-game management with changes to take United into top four