Paul Pogba made the difference for Manchester United in a vital win away at Burnley.
The Frenchman scored the winner as United beat Burnley 1-0 at Turf Moor, with an excellent volley to break the deadlock.
It was a hard fought victory and Pogba’s contribution was far more than simply scoring a winner.
From a numbers-perspective, Pogba was dominant in every area.
Pogba was outstanding
Pogba touched the ball more times than any player on the pitch – 104 times.
He also made more clearances than any United player 5 in total, winning 5 aerial duels.
Pogba created two chances, the joint highest on the pitch along with Edinson Cavani. Bruno Fernandes was on one.
He was one of four United players who got a shot on target on the night.
From a defensive standpoint Pogba made two tackles and made two interceptions, the highest contribution of any midfielder.
A strong case to start at Anfield
Pogba has not always started United’s biggest games this season. Often Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has gone for the combination of Scott McTominay and Fred.
Both players were left on the bench for this game, a sign they could be being saved for Sunday’s match at Anfield.
So Pogba’s performance may shake up Solskjaer’s plans and give him a tough decision to make at Anfield.
Solskjaer told the club website: “I’ve always said Paul is a big, big player for us. He’s a good character in the dressing room, he’s always one that the lads look to, he’s a world champion of course and we’re seeing the best of Paul at the moment.
“I feel he is getting better and better for every game. He’s been injured and he’s had COVID and it’s just natural that he needed some time to get fit.”
Pogba played like he really wanted the win, and was proactive in attacking, getting forward frequently despite starting in a midfield three as opposed to a four.
The Frenchman rightly was awarded Sky’s man of the match award and hopefully he starts at the weekend and puts in another similarly dominant performance.
- Manni Norkett: The next top Manchester United academy striker you need to know
- Getting Anthony Martial back to his best could transform Manchester United
- No Rashford and possibly no Sancho: Who starts for Manchester United on the wing against Leeds?
- Ethan Laird is wanted by Swansea and a loan move looks essential
- Looking back at United reportedly agreeing terms with Sancho a year ago
- Aurelien Tchouameni shows why Manchester United should be interested
- Kieran Trippier returns to training for Atletico Madrid
- Manchester United fans react to Lukaku to Chelsea reports
- Fred spotted back in Manchester United training
- Manchester United could net £5 million Romelu Lukaku sell-on fee