Paul Pogba congratulates Danny Welbeck on comeback goal
It was a big night for former Manchester United players on Tuesday.
Wilfried Zaha scored a screamer at Stamford Bridge, while Zlatan Ibrahimovic outfought Cristiano Ronaldo in a fascinating game in Italy as AC Milan stunned Juventus with a 4-2 win.
None of the goals were quite as important or special as the one scored by former United forward Danny Welbeck.
Welbeck unleashed a spectacular overhead kick to lead Watford to a 2-1 win over Norwich.
The victory gives Welbeck’s Hornets a good chance of survival in their relegation battle. They currently are in 17th place with a four game gap.
United fans will always have a bit of a soft spot for former academy graduate Welbeck, who was sold under Louis van Gaal in 2014 to make way for Radamel Falcao.
The very fact he is at Watford has gone under the radar of many supporters, with injuries restricting the former England international’s game time over the last couple of seasons.
Last night he re-announced himself, and the Longsight born 29-year-old clearly has plenty left to offer.
Current United star and his former academy teammate Paul Pogba was impressed, congratulating him on social media.
Pogba and Welbeck played for United’s first team together only very briefly.
Both players came off the bench on Pogba’s Europa League debut, a 2-1 defeat away at Athletic Bilbao in March 2012.
Pogba left United months later to join Juventus, before circling back for a world record fee in 2016.
After a mixed few years, Pogba looks to have a new lease of life in a new look United side, and hopes for him are high.
Like Welbeck, he has overcome injury problems over the past year, and it is good to see both players thriving, even if it is not together.
- Luka Modric reacts as Casemiro move to Manchester United confirmed
- Real Madrid confirm Casemiro sale to Manchester United in emotional statement, and announce tribute plan
- Raphael Varane reacts as Manchester United announce Casemiro deal
- 3 reasons £59.7m Manchester United target is better signing than Frenkie de Jong
- 36-year-old coach sits top of league table having left Manchester United last season
- XI players linked with Manchester United moves this week; featuring left-footed Premier League ace
- 'Really good player': Klopp praises star with no PL starts for Manchester United since May 2021
- 'Here we go': Manchester United have full agreement on Casemiro, says Romano
- 'Really wants the move': £67.6m Player wants to join Manchester United, not giving up, says Romano