Owen Hargreaves and Michael Owen react to Manchester United's CL draw v Atletico Madrid
Manchester United have been drawn against La Liga giants Atletico Madrid in the Champions League last-16, following today’s re-draw.
The Reds will travel to Diego Simeone’ side in February, before welcoming the Spanish side to Old Trafford for the second leg, in March.
Ralf Rangnick’s team had been drawn against Paris Saint Germain earlier in the day, but following a technical glitch, UEFA announced that the draw would be done again.
Instead of facing the French giants, United will now pit their wits against Simeone’s side, who have been one of Europe’s most consistent sides in the competition, in recent years.
Reacting to the draw on BT Sport, Owen Hargreaves said: “They’ve [Atletico Madrid] got some world class players, Joao Felix, Luis Suarez. Jan Oblak is one of the best goalkeepers in the world. It’s slightly easier for United, but it’s a case of flipping a coin of who will go through.
“It’s a huge clash in styles between Rangnick and Simeone. Atletico play more defensive on the counter.”
Michael Owen said: “Simeone is one of the best managers in the world, it’s a tough tie for Manchester United, but it’s slightly easier than Paris Saint Germain.”
Cristiano Ronaldo will be heading back to Spain to rekindle his rivalry with Atletico, following his time playing for Real Madrid.
The 36-year-old has scored 25 goals against Simeone’s side during his career, more than any other side he has faced.
- 4-3-3: Manchester United's strongest XI on FIFA 23, top scorer and two Ten Hag favourites miss out
- 'Technical ability is frightening': Teammate raves about player Manchester United let go this summer
- 'It was ready'… Manchester United star visited Real Madrid ahead of potential transfer, says former agent
- Manchester United star has already proved he was right to snub £17m City move, now he must show them
- Manchester United star thrilled to win award he did not know existed