Champions League draw controversy: When is the re-draw and why has the first draw been cancelled
The Champions League draw descended into farce after two key mistakes in Switzerland. It will now be re-drawn.
Manchester United were drawn out of the pot to face Villarreal – before it was explained they should not have been in the pot.
United could not face Villarreal after being drawn against them in the group stages.
Champions League draw controversy
There was further controversy as a video came to light indicating United’s ball was not put into the pot for the second to last tie.
This saw Atletico Madrid drawn against Bayern Munich, leaving Manchester United to face Paris Saint-Germain.
The dream draw for neutrals of Lionel Messi vs Cristiano Ronaldo is not so amusing for the clubs concerned, and those effected.
Champions League draw fallout
Atletico Madrid are seeking a full explanation from UEFA, reports Guillem Balague. Journalist Mark Critchley reports United are also awaiting a statement.
#mufc have not challenged the draw but are awaiting clarification from Uefa.— Mark Critchley (@mjcritchley) December 13, 2021
Balague adds that Villarreal are demanding a full re-draw after landing a tie against Manchester City.
Real Madrid are complicating matters by insisting their draw with Benfica was valid, as it came before the errors were made.
United’s draw with PSG was the worst possible tie.
Liverpool meanwhile drew Red Bull Salzburg and Chelsea were drawn against Lille.
The Champions League draw will reportedly be re-done at 2pm, reports BBC Sport’s Simon Stone.
United v PSG still feels like an inevitability – but we will see…
UEFA have since confirmed the news, and blamed somebody else.
- 'Gone'… No chance club can keep £40m Manchester United transfer target, says pundit
- 'Unmistakable threat'… Manchester United star praised as his country's 'standout player' at World Cup
- 'Speaks volumes': Bryan Robson praises Manchester United star for 'dominant' World Cup display
- 'Beautiful to see': Manchester United star delighted to see reported 23-year-old Ten Hag target score on World Cup debut
- Report: Bruno Fernandes and Lisandro Martinez helping youngster try and hit lift off on Manchester United career