Odion Ighalo has only played nine minutes of Premier League football this season.
He wasn’t in the squad for the league clashes with Brighton or Tottenham and failed to score in either of his EFL Cup outings this season.
That said, he could get another chance to prove himself – and maybe salvage his United career – this weekend against Newcastle.
Anthony Martial is suspended after his red card last time out, and Edinson Cavani is still self-isolating.
Marcus Rashford or Mason Greenwood could be moved up front against Steve Bruce’s side, but Ighalo would expect to at least be on the bench.
And the Nigerian has told the club’s official website that he’s ready to seize the chance whenever Solskjaer calls upon him.
“I’m always ready,“ said Ighalo. “Whenever the gaffer calls me, my idea is just to give my best in training, work hard and wait for my opportunity – to take it.
“Hopefully, I’ll just keep my head down, keep working hard every day. Come to the training ground every day and give it my best.
Whenever the gaffer needs me, I will come and give my best.
We’ve been training hard. Those of us who did not go to the international teams have been working seriously hard.“
Ighalo began his United career on fire, scoring in all but one of the games he started last season.
But he was unable to score a Premier League goal off the bench and hasn’t looked at his best in 2020/21.
The arrival of Cavani means his chances to impress will even more limited, but as a boyhood United fan, he is clearly keen to make the most of his closing months at the club.
With Martial out, and Cavani still getting up to fitness, Ighalo might just get a window of opportunity in the coming weeks.
He will have to improve on his latest performances to take full advantage, but Ighalo clearly feels capable.
A first league goal in a red shirt on Saturday would be an ideal way to do exactly that.
- Scholes says United should sign Fofana – but deal would be very unlikely
- Anthony Martial needs to rediscover debut season form in key Manchester United clashes
- Marcus Rashford is outperforming Sadio Mane this season
- Predicted Manchester United XI v Liverpool
- Jurgen Klopp hails Manchester United pair Marcus Rashford and Bruno Fernandes
- Solskjaer claims there’s even more to come from Manchester United
- Solskjaer says Diallo could be in United squad this weekend
- Bruno Fernandes wins record-breaking fourth player of the month award
- Amad Diallo pictured training with Manchester United first team