Gary Neville held a brief question and answer session with fans on social media in which he addressed a couple of big topics.
Neville was asked if Manchester United should bring back Cristiano Ronaldo.
Ronaldo was left out of Juventus’ starting line-up on the final day of the Serie A season.
The MEN ran a story just yesterday mentioning the United links, while adding the club have no current plans to re-sign the former number seven.
Neville agrees that bringing back his former teammate would not be the right move.
United already have a number seven, with Edinson Cavani thriving in the role of the experienced star leading the club’s attack. It is hard to imagine both players in the same team, and Cavani has just re-signed his contract.
Kane and Pogba different says Neville
Neville conducted an interview with Tottenham striker Harry Kane last week in which the England striker said he planned to consider his future.
This led to some questioning why Kane was not criticised for doing so, and wondering what the reaction might have been if Paul Pogba did the same.
Neville refutes the comparison and says Kane did nothing wrong, claiming that Pogba’s situation was different because it was mid-season and via his agent.
The timing of Raiola’s interview last December did not help anybody, with it coming a day before a crucial Champions League game.
So Neville has a point there. But we can’t pretend there would not be a meltdown of a reaction among United fans if Pogba conducted an interview with a pundit in which he suggested he was unhappy at the club.
United are one of the clubs who can afford Kane, but it is unclear if he will actually become a transfer priority, despite plenty of speculation.
Three signings to win the title
Neville added that he believes three signings can win United next season’s title.
Landing Raphael Varane, Harry Kane, and Jadon Sancho would be near impossible. It would cost United more than £250 million.
With the Glazers in charge, a spending spree like this would be unprecedented in a single summer.
- Manchester United set to resume training
- Charlie McCann sends message after leaving Manchester United
- United announce Rashford is set for surgery on shoulder injury
- Raphael Varane says goodbye to Real Madrid after agreeing to join United
- Photos: Sancho features as Manchester United officially release new 2021/22 away kit
- Report provides update on United’s Covid situation after Preston friendly is cancelled
- Alejandro Garnacho grabs brace in Manchester United under-18s win over Tottenham
- Laurent Blanc said it was ‘an honour’ to be compared to Raphael Varane
- Logan Pye signs Manchester United pro contract
- Harry Maguire pictured enjoying holiday abroad