Mike Phelan sends message to Manchester United fans
Manchester United assistant manager Mike Phelan has issued a rallying cry to the fans ahead of today’s clash with Everton.
United have had a tight turnaround between Wednesday night’s Champions League clash with Villarreal and today’s lunchtime kick off.
The atmosphere was electric at Old Trafford on Wednesday night, especially when Cristiano Ronaldo won the game late, late on.
And Phelan has taken to Twitter to call on the fans to replicate that noise, which has also been heard against Leeds and Newcastle at home this term.
Phelan echoed Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s view that the fans are going to be important in terms of helping the players through a tiring few days.
He told his pre-match press conference: We had the same scenario last year when we were in Turkey, came back and played Everton. Of course, the players aren’t going to let that [the disadvantage] happen.
“We’re not going to get that joy again [beating Everton] that we had last year [without working hard] – we have to make it happen. It’s not like: ‘Well, we did it last year so it’s going to happen again.’
“The crowd’s got to help, that’s important, and I know they will.”
The fans will want to see an improved level of performance from the players too.
It’s obviously a tough ask to recover and go again in such a short space of time, but United have the depth of squad now to rotate and stay fresh.
The supporters will do their part, creating a raucous atmosphere in the hope of seeing a win which would send United top of the Premier League.
- Manchester United identify next move to hijack after Malacia signs
- Manchester United star frustrated ahead of final match for loan club as next move awaits
- £15m star's imminent Manchester United move should inspire £43m ace to join Ten Hag too
- Ten Hag interested in signing £25m midfielder for Manchester United, could turn him into big star
- Manchester United target Antony tells Ajax he won't return until August amid £69m reports