Scott McTominay has started the season in fine form and has re-established himself in Manchester United’s midfield.
Alongside Fred, the Scotland international offers Ole Gunnar Solskjaer the ideal platform on which to build.
But the 23-year-old has admitted to United’s official website he is not satisfied with his goal record.
He has nine goals in 94 senior United appearances, including one this season in the EFL Cup against Brighton.
But McTominay says he wants to get on the scoresheet more this season and has admitted looking to emulate Harry Maguire in terms of his potency in the box.
I need to score more,” McTominay admitted. “
Against Chelsea, I had the first contact and should have done better. The game before, in Paris, I had two opportunities.
So it is just that mentality, going into games really believing you can score goals.
I was just watching Harry [Maguire] and how many first contacts in the box he gets.
I was like ‘why can’t I do that?’ I’m the same size as him. It’s just a little mindset tweak that can really make the difference.
“The quality we have is amazing and it’s up to me… (and) the ones who are playing, to really go and make them count.”
The interview notes that McTominay played as a striker and creative midfielder in his younger days.
Of course, he has matured into a physical, steady holding midfielder and now the challenge is to add that goal threat back to his game.
If he can do that, it would give United a new dimension. Bruno Fernandes has added goals from midfield, and if McTominay could get between five to ten a season it would make a big difference.
Top sides need goal threats all over the pitch and McTominay’s comments also show his desire to keep on improving, which is exactly what United need to get the consistency of performances and results required.
- Bruno Fernandes praises Edinson Cavani
- Robbie Savage praises son Charlie after his first United under-18s goal
- James Garner impresses on loan again in Watford win
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer offers injury update on Manchester United’s left backs
- Alex Telles shows his quality with another strong all round performance
- Hasenhuttl praises Edinson Cavani as a ‘constant danger’ after matchwinning brace
- Manchester United set Premier League record with Southampton win
- Edinson Cavani is going to shake up the Premier League
- Manchester United fans react to Dean Henderson’s performance