Jadon Sancho’s on-off transfer to Manchester United is predictably dragging out, testing the patience of supporters.
There is a chance it will all be worth it in the end, and there will be no bigger winner from a move than Mason Greenwood.
While Greenwood and Sancho may, on the face of it, be competing for a right wing spot, the Borussia Dortmund star’s arrival would be very positive news for the United attacker.
Flexibility across the attack
Mason Greenwood is a striker. Having him out on the right wing is a needs-must at this time to accommodate Anthony Martial, but long-term, this is where the United youngster’s future lies.
At present due to the lack of alternative options on the right, Greenwood playing there has become essential.
There is a risk he gets pigeon-holed for this position, and kept there, to the detriment of his development.
Having Sancho in the squad gives United more freedom, and the Dortmund star can also play on the left, meaning Marcus Rashford could also sit out at times, with Greenwood back on the right.
The varied combinations just work, but with no new addition, then Rashford, Martial and Greenwood all look stretched, to play twice a week, every week.
For his own protection
United have a duty to protect Greenwood and not overplay him. He scored 17 goals this past season, and expectations will be high.
Is he ready mentally for the challenge? Can he cope physically with the demands?
Greenwood has, by his own error, become a target for the press after his misbehaviour in Iceland.
The press were unforgiving, and Greenwood has created a rod for his own back. United should be reticent to put even further pressure on him, when there is such a glaring need in the team for an additional right winger.
Sancho would help Greenwood, not hinder him. He can continue his development as United’s wonderkid, rather than being rushed and pushed into a bigger role than he is ready for.
The pressure will shift to Sancho, and Greenwood can continue to thrive as he has done to date.
- It’s time Anthony Martial started scoring goals again
- Two deals Manchester United need to make big progress on this week
- Report: Lazio show interest in Andreas Pereira
- Watford fans react to James Garner’s performance on first Championship start
- Manchester United fans react to Nemanja Matic’s performance
- Bruno Fernandes sends message to Manchester United fans after win
- Six things we learned as Manchester United beat Brighton 3-2
- Hannibal Mejbri shows quality in under-23 defeat
- Why Manchester United should consider bargain Todibo bid