Marcos Rojo’s stint as Manchester United player could be entering it’s final week.
Rojo is currently in Argentina and is no longer training with the first team squad.
A report from Argentine outlet Infobae says he is in the process of terminating his United contract, which is due to expire this summer.
The report states Rojo expects to be a free agent from January 31st.
Rojo reportedly has options
Boca Juniors are strong favourites to sign Rojo. Vice-president Juan Roman Riquelme has reportedly been in regular contact with him over the past year.
Also fighting for him is former United star Juan Sebastian Veron. He is the president of Estudiantes, who loaned Rojo last year.
Estudiantes have made Rojo an offer and hope he will choose them over Boca Juniors, although they do not have Copa Libertadores football to offer.
The third club in the mix is MLS side LA Galaxy. They are the third club to have approached him and made an offer.
Time to go
United sent Rojo out on loan to Estudiantes last January and it didn’t work out too well. He got injured and played just one game before the league went into lockdown.
This meant there was little market for his services in the summer. His high wages have put teams off making bids for him, leaving United stuck.
It would surely be in Rojo’s interests to get his career going again and actually playing football. It is encouraging that United may be working with him to pay off his contract like Arsenal did with Mesut Ozil.
Rojo, 30, should be flattered that there are three clubs battling it out for his services. His exit is long overdue.
- Manchester United transfer target wins club’s player of the season
- Alejandro Garnacho hears the words he has been waiting for, it should be third time lucky
- Bruno Fernandes and Benni McCarthy react as goalkeeper leaves Manchester United
- Manchester United path to sign Moises Caicedo looks more difficult than ever
- Juventus set to make last-ditch attempt to keep Manchester United transfer target
- Donny van de Beek makes decision on his future, per Fabrizio Romano
- £35m Manchester United target advised to switch to La Liga instead
- 40 goal contributions: Manchester United star has performed beyond expectation
- Jack Butland sends message as he leaves Manchester United and Rangers move announced