Manchester United's academy stars go wild for Shoretire debut
17-year-old Shola Shoretire made his Manchester United debut against Newcastle.
He is the second youngest player to represent United in the Premier League era, and this could be the start of a very special career.
Shoretire has impressed for United’s under-23 team this season, scoring six goals this season to date and also providing three assists.
Seeing him make his debut in a Premier League fixture has added importance.
Several of the players who featured for United in the Europa League last season like James Garner and Ethan Laird are yet to play a Premier League game since and have had to go out on loan.
Shoretire’s debut can act as inspiration for United’s academy players and his promotion led to several of them reacting positively on social media and congratulating him.
Amad Diallo, who was on the bench also, Dillon Hoogewerf, Charlie Savage, Bjorn Hardley and D’Mani Mellor were among several players to pay tribute to Shoretire.
It is great to see the camaraderie between all of the young players, and Shoretire can act as inspiration for others.
Speaking to the club website, Shoretire said: “
I was nervous but I have worked really hard to get here, to this moment, that I just wanted to do the best I could and, hopefully, I can keep getting minutes and, as I get older, play more and keep enjoying my time at the club.
“Hopefully, it is just the start. I am going to keep working hard in training, keeping my head down and keeping humble and looking forward to playing more.“
Shoretire has a long way to go to reach Ryan Giggs’ club appearance record of 963, but he has started early enough to give it a shot.
- 4-2-3-1: Predicted Manchester United XI v Brentford, 4 changes, McTominay dropped
- Photo: Youngster signs Manchester United contract after academy transfer
- Erik ten Hag press conference: Manchester United will make signings before transfer window closes
- 'Will not be available': Ten Hag confirms two Manchester United players will miss Brentford clash through injury
- Report: Manchester United raise £1m transfer target budget to £7m
- Photos: Cristiano Ronaldo features as United officially release new 2022/23 third kit
- Forget Arnautovic, the most ludicrous Manchester United striker link yet has emerged
- Manchester United's possible midfield solution could finally make career-changing breakthrough this weekend
- Report: £63m Manchester United target's fiancee 'desperate' to stay put
- 'Could be good for United'… French expert says £19m star could thrive under Ten Hag