Manchester United 'watching Bruno Guimaraes closely'
Manchester United are monitoring the situation of Lyon midfielder Bruno Guimaraes, reports Sky Sports.
Guimaraes is also subject of interest from Arsenal, PSG, and Tottenham. But any pre-deadline day deal is made difficult because he is currently with the Brazil squad.
Who is Bruno Guimaraes?
Lyon signed Guimaraes from Athletico Paranaenense in 2020. The 24-year-old has become a regular and his performances have attracted significant interest.
The 24-year-old defensive midfielder has provided six assists in 25 games this season in Ligue 1 and the Europa League.
The Evening Standard reported earlier this month there was also interest in him from Everton and Newcastle. With United’s need for a midfielder, it was only a matter of time before the Red Devils were linked. Fabrizio Romano reports Newcastle have also submitted an offer, but have no response from Lyon.
Last year Brazil coach Tite made a lofty comparison, quoted by France Football: “We currently lack a midfielder. A player like Falcao in the past or like De Bruyne today, someone able to bring more creativity, speed. Bruno Guimaraes, has enormous potential and can be that player.”
This season Bruno Guimaraes ranks number one in Ligue 1 for passes into the final third (150) and first for successful through balls (10), per FBRef.com.
Guimaraes also ranks as the number one midfielder in France for successful tackles (44) and top three for off-ball pressures (423).
He ranks joint fourth for progressive carries (157), which shows how comfortable he is dribbling the ball forward in addition to his qualities passing it.
Lyon signed him for just £17 million two seasons ago and they will want to make a profit. Fabrizio Romano reported this month the French side will only consider offers of 45m Euros (£37 million).
Is a move likely?
A move before the transfer deadline for any midfielder seems fairly improbable from Manchester United’s perspective. The club have chosen so far not to make moves for Denis Zakaria and Boubacar Kamara, both of who are available for a fraction of the price.
This indicates United’s incoming transfers are on hold until the summer, possibly with a view to signing better players, instead of simply ‘who is available’.
Bruno Guimaraes could fir the bill for a more aspirational target, a midfielder capable as much of creating attacks as he is destroying them. He is comparable in style to Wolves’ Ruben Neves in that regard.
A decision could rest with United’s next boss, as United look set to gamble and hope no other club succeeds in signing him this January. There is a very real chance Newcastle are successful with their bid. It’s unlikely this forces United into action either.
If the midfielder does stay at Lyon past the deadline, it is sensible for United to continue ‘closely monitor’ the Brazilian ahead of the summer, and add him to a list of possible options for the new boss to choose from.
- Rangnick says 17-year-old Manchester United wonderkid faces battle to play v Palace
- Rangnick's final XI: Predicted 4-3-3 Manchester United line-up v Crystal Palace: 4 changes
- 'He can do everything'… Manchester United target can succeed where Red Devils star has struggled
- Dortmund sacking shows Manchester United have landed a real coup
- Rangnick says Manchester United star will miss training tomorrow and may not play vs Palace
- Dani Alves has given backing to Manchester United target with £340m release clause
- Manchester United still scouting wonderkid three years after Old Trafford trial, 2023 earliest deal possible
- 'It will not be long'… Patrick Kluivert raves about Manchester United linked Antony
- Lingard and Elanga lead reaction as young Manchester United striker announces departure
- Triple sale would be a ruthless way for Erik ten Hag to start Manchester United's summer
- Manchester United offered chance to sign star Ten Hag sold for £23.8m