Qualifying for the Champions League was significant to Manchester United.
The importance of this may be about to play out in a big way, with United reportedly chasing defender Gabriel Magalhaes.
French newspaper La Voix du Nord (via GFFN) report United have made a proposal to sign the Brazilian defender.
United are one of three clubs to have done so, along with Napoli and Everton. The offer is said to be around £27 million plus £2 million in bonuses.
United’s status as a Champions League side makes the Red Devils clear leaders to seal Gabriel’s signature.
Everton do not even have European football to offer next season, and will be relying on manager Carlo Ancelotti’s admittedly strong pulling power.
Napoli can only offer Europa League football, with their final placing in seventh place in Serie A already set with one game remaining.
This makes United frontrunners to land the Brazilian, especially when adding in the prestige and global recognition already associated with being a Red Devils players.
Competition should be embraced and not feared
One reason for Gabriel not to choose United would be his own fear that he would not be an automatic starter
At Lille it took him a little while to break through, after unsuccessful loans as a teenager, but he made it. This shows his determination to succeed, and he should back himself to be a star at Old Trafford too.
At United he would have something unique to offer, as the club’s only left-footed central defender, once Marcos Rojo is eventually moved on.
This will help him stand out, while his playing style in passing the ball out from the back perfectly fits what manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is looking for.
If Gabriel believes in himself, then signing for Manchester United is his only real option. Champions League football should seal the deal.
Are United being used?
Sky Sports report Gabriel’s representatives are in the UK holding talks with United and Everton.
There should not be anything to choose between the two, given what United can offer.
It is fair to question then whether United are simply being used by Lille and Gabriel to drive up the price. We have seen this several times before.
If the player needs talking into moving to United, then this is an issue. It should be a no-brainer for him.
- Manchester United U18s return to action with dramatic 4-3 win against Blackburn
- Liverpool tie looks like Odion Ighalo’s last chance to play for Manchester United
- Pellistri and Diallo have versatility to both ultimately start together for United
- Donny van de Beek can prove he is ready for Manchester United superstardom this weekend
- Predicted Manchester United line-up v Liverpool
- Solskjaer praises development of full backs Shaw and Wan-Bissaka
- Solskjaer has reportedly rejected loan bids for van de Beek, Tuanzebe and Williams
- Cavani is finally bringing success to Manchester United’s number 7 shirt
- Loan for Facundo Pellistri can work if it fast-tracks his United success
- Fred’s late battling shows why he is so important to United